Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detroit rockers vs bbr stg1 vs hot rods

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:21 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

Default detroit rockers vs bbr stg1 vs hot rods

im in the market for a set of cams and ive narrowed it down to these 3. they all sound great but wut im looking for is best overall performance. ive done alot of research on all 3 but # have been all over the place. ide like to get an unbiased opinion from you guys or even just post ur dyno #s and 1/4 times with them if u have it. ill be running stainless works longtubes, c&l racer intake, udp's, probably a dyno tune and i 3.73 gears. maybe the frpp intake manifold after i see some more numbers with it.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

I went with the Detroit rockers but if I were to do it over again I would highly consider the bbr stage 1. They make the most power from what ive seen.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:43 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

thats wut ive been leaning towards also but this is why ide like other opinions. thanks for the input
Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 PM
sharkbait20
2nd Gear Member

i saw a dyno sheet when i went to the shop that showed the hot rods picking up like 14 or 18 hp to the wheels and i think ditto + a few on the torque; a lot better than the comps which only showed like 8 or so
Old 05-16-2010, 02:55 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

Basically the rockers are the same thing as the hot rods just a bit more lift and duration. The bbr are gonna be the most aggressive with Detroit rockers close behind and hot rods close behind them. But I think for the price you can't go wrong with the rockers
Old 05-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

max power is nice, but you also need to be concerned with driveability.

trust me on this one. I used to run some huge cams back in the day that made driving my car (Chevy El Camino SS) impossible on the street. Stick or Auto.

just a FYI if you haven't thought of that aspect. The Rockers claim to be the most street friendly...and they have a nice power gain
Old 05-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

JasperGT and I both did cams at the same time with VERY similar mods, just different tunes (he went brenspeed and i went bamachips).

He got 351whp with the Motha Thumprs

I got 337 with the Hot Rods.

I'm still waiting for my dyno chart to be emailed to me but my torque curve was quite a bit nicer than the Mothr Thumprs I believe...I'll post em up as soon as I see em.

I'd consider them though...the hotrods are nice sounding and all but the HP numbers seem to be else where. I just liked the torque curve I got
Old 05-16-2010, 04:15 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Don't worry about the peak HP. That's meaningless. Look at how the cams affect your power curve and pick based on that.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:14 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

lupo, ur friend has similar mods to u and he made 351rwhp? thats impressive. ive been noticing hot rod cammed cars getting around the upper 330 range but like u said they make good tq also. ide love to see both of your dyno graphs. thanks for all the input guys
Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Im getting the detroit rockers june 1st so hopefully i see some nice gains with the addition of an x or h pipe plus Pypes mid muffler system. Sounds like brenspeed has come up with a nice cam considering the power and driveability

Quick Reply: detroit rockers vs bbr stg1 vs hot rods