Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

american thunder flowmasters + cams How bad will it drone at interstate speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Default american thunder flowmasters + cams How bad will it drone at interstate speeds

Just like the title reads fellas Id like to hear ur thoughts on how these would sound inside the car at interstate speeds. Is it going to be obnoxious or not bad. Im not worried about throttle drone at all. Just worried about the drone while driving. My GF and i are going on vacation when i get home from work. But before we go im getting detroit rocker cams installed and was thinking of this exhuast set up plus an h pipe. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. Would u take ur car on an 8 hour trip with that set up.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

i use to have american thunders and they droned really bad and thats on a v6! With the cams id imagine it would be horrible. Maybe you could put the cams on and put the stock mufflers on just for the trip?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:38 AM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

I have Macs which every pisses and moans about how bad they drone. Tell you what that's complete B.S. my 8 month along pregnant wife which hates everything at the moment says they don't drone bad at all. I would make sure you do an o/r h with them though or else they may drone a bit more.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 AM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

I have had the pypes mm system and the Macs now both with 4.10s on my auto and they are both really quiet on the freeway.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:58 AM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

I have the am thunder classics, they are the older style muffler but flowmasters latest offering for our cars as an axleback so I think they have only been out for a year or so. the only drone is below 1800 rpm down to 1700 rpm which is kinda lugging the car and not an RPM I am really ever operating at. I am very happy with the setup they sound awesome. every time I drive the car I have to floor it because they sound really good at full throttle, I couldn't be happier with them.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:17 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

So i just got off the phone with chandler at brenspeed. I ordered the flowmasters but not the classic and an h pipe. I have heard alot of people say including brenspeed say the h pipe is better for sound. x pipe has that raspy sound i dont care for. Plus i have heard alot of people say that they drone around 1700 to 2000 which is fine with me as 410s will keep me out of that rpm when cruising. I cant wait. June 1st will be awesome. Car will be paid off and have detroit rocker cams, h pipe, and flowmaster installed. And it will all be mine. OH YEA
Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

sounds sick, post up a video after you get it all done!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:37 AM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

yes....a video...DO IT! JK but Congrats dude you'll love it.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 AM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

stagger your mufflers ever so slightly. Put one about 3-4 inches ahead of or behind the other. This will cause different frequencies at different times in the exhaust. Nothing we'd notice, but enough that it won't coming into a harmony and cause that droned out rattling. It's like tuning a guitar. if the string is slightly out of tune and u tune it with the other string, nothing. if they're in tune, they drone out.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:34 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Went on a 13 hr cruise and I did not notice any drone. With the wind blowing and the tunes a thumping all was good.

Quick Reply: american thunder flowmasters + cams How bad will it drone at interstate speeds