Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To catch a vandal

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sadface
nothing says justice like the racking of a pump
exactly
Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

i'd look in to setting up a Gilligan's Island style speargun trap.
When you hear the "thwuuuuunk" sound you know you have a vandal on the line.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Good luck!

A car cover provides decent protection.

Adults can be vandals too.

If you can get a decent camera angle coverage, then you might be able to get a swift resolution.

Another tool is light beams w/ reflectors to provide an electronic signal that the beam has been tripped in the yard.

A trebuchet attached to a snare is a rewarding way to remove trespassing vandals. Ensure sufficient video camera coverage for that event, including the landing zone.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Probably easier said than done, but the solution seems pretty straight forward to me. Move your car into the garage, and move the dog out. You have to ask what is more important. Sparring your car from further vandalizing, damage, potential future body shop work and expenses...or keeping your dog "happy" and the garage carpet clean?

I understand your garage is carpeted, but I'd gladly find a solution to keep oil and exhaust leak off my carpet than leave my $27k mustang out in the open to be vandalized a fourth time.

It sounds to me like they enjoy targeting your car. Maybe when your car isn't a target any longer, they'll go for your house. So I'd still set up some video surveillance equipment to catch the kids.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

sorry man.. most kids just dont respect peoples property!!!! you should get their names if you catch them, then in 20 years find em and mess with their cars for pay back!!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:34 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by zkiller
i'd look in to setting up a Gilligan's Island style speargun trap.
When you hear the "thwuuuuunk" sound you know you have a vandal on the line.
And spend the next 20 years worring about butt vandals in prision.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

Are you the only one being targeted in your neighborhood? (sorry if I missed)
Old 05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

car > dog ?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Midnight Express
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear that. I had my car egged once and it does wonders to the paint. What if you bait them. Park your car in the driveway and wait in a parked car somewhere on the street with a video camera Or an m40a3 sniper rifle. Your choice.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:50 PM
PHX8839
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately cameras usually don't help a whole lot. You will usually see silhouettes only unless you spend alot on the camera system. Even if you get a good image you then have to figure out who it is. Having a clear image of an unknown suspect doesn't help you.

What kind of pattern are you looking at? What day of the week is it happening? What time frame? If it is Friday or Saturday night it is probably school aged kids. Are you near a school or bar? If others in the community are having issues have all of them complain to the local police department. If it is kids and is happening late at night perhaps curfew can be enforced. Just police bugging kids will make them want to hang out elsewhere.

Motion lights will be your best bet, but only if they actually come in your driveway. If they are throwing things they wont help.

If that stuff doesn't work sit out there the nights and times that it seems to be happening and chase down one of the kids when they do it and call the police. If you do not desire prosecution the police ar probably not going to do anything.

Quick Reply: To catch a vandal