Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over for front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

The Illinois general assemble had a bill to eliminate front license plates in Illinois. (Yea like they don't have anything better to do while Rome burns) This would save the state about 1/2 million a year. The gov didn't know if he will sign it, as most P.D.'s and the State Police are against it. I haven't been able to find an update on this anywhere, which is probably a bad sign....
Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 PM
vic21234

Originally Posted by Twstones
The Illinois general assemble had a bill to eliminate front license plates in Illinois. (Yea like they don't have anything better to do while Rome burns) This would save the state about 1/2 million a year. The gov didn't know if he will sign it, as most P.D.'s and the State Police are against it. I haven't been able to find an update on this anywhere, which is probably a bad sign....
Yea that bill hasn't gone anywhere, it's still a valid reason for a stop...
Old 05-25-2010, 12:17 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Sucks he pulled you over. Missing front plate seems to be a lot like too dark tint. You can get away with it for a long time, but eventually they get you. Retractable plate looks good.

patrick
Old 05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Shotokan1509
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
How does no front plate save the state? I would think they charge plate fees for getting plates, and they will lose whatever revenue they get for no plate tickets. I don't mind front plates on my other vehicles, just not on the stang.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 PM
silentbob00

You're lucky. In Texas, I got pulled over for going 40 in a 35 and a ticket for no front license plate in the same stop. It was $500 total, I had to hire a traffic lawyer, and spend 4 hours in court. Overall, I was pretty peeved about the whole situation. I now have a defaced mustang to have the damn license plate on, went to my local dealership to put it on.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:16 PM
shonole
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

I've had the one from Craig's Custom for several months, and it shows no signs of slipping. He recommends you remove it if you're going to run it through a car wash with brushes, but I've never had any problem with the brushless ones I use for a quick job. You could take it off and put it back on in less than 5 minutes anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/
Old 05-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

No front license is not a moving violation, it's an equipment infraction (Fix it ticket and a $10-$50 dollar admin fee).

The only thing he saved you from was the inconvenience of it and having to actually do it.

Yes it true that cops find little things like that to give them probably cause to pull you over sooo...if you don't have it and have some other questionable item (too loud, lights not working, tint to dark) be prepared to get pulled over. Most cops let one or two equipment things go (depending on what it is) but you have given them a green light to pull you over whenever they want just for driving around without the plate on the car.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
No front license is not a moving violation, it's an equipment infraction (Fix it ticket and a $10-$50 dollar admin fee).

The only thing he saved you from was the inconvenience of it and having to actually do it.

Yes it true that cops find little things like that to give them probably cause to pull you over sooo...if you don't have it and have some other questionable item (too loud, lights not working, tint to dark) be prepared to get pulled over. Most cops let one or two equipment things go (depending on what it is) but you have given them a green light to pull you over whenever they want just for driving around without the plate on the car.

+1, sometimes small things lead to big time arrest. I'd hate to see these things go.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Larger pics please, I have that mount and now have the CS bumper, I just haven't put them together yet. If possible, an under shot of where you mounted it, and directly above shot for how far it sticks out when folded, and how do you keep it from contacting the bumper? Mine seems to lay back a bit, more than a 90 degree when deployed.
sure i will do it tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

if you have that retractable thing, what do you do when you get pulled over? do you just pull it out and say, "see i have it" cause then wouldnt he just give you the ticket and say, "well you should have had it up!"

Quick Reply: Pulled over for front license plate