Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over for front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
if you have that retractable thing, what do you do when you get pulled over? do you just pull it out and say, "see i have it" cause then wouldnt he just give you the ticket and say, "well you should have had it up!"
for cars shows and cruise nights.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM
RoushGT
1st Gear Member

I have a retractable front plate, here's a couple more details...

I had mine down, got pulled over. Told cop it was up there, said it didn't matter, had to be visible while operating on public roadway blah blah blah..
then wrote me up simultaneously for smoke tail light covers and rear license plate cover.

So, i drive around with front plate up... turns out thats what cops use to zero in with their laser gun - got hit for 46 in 30 before I could even see him. Guess thats why they like them plates on the front...
Old 05-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
How does no front plate save the state? I would think they charge plate fees for getting plates, and they will lose whatever revenue they get for no plate tickets. I don't mind front plates on my other vehicles, just not on the stang.
It's like chump change, but I think they said it's costs about 5-6 dollars a plate to make them. Time how many new plates they send out a year.....What a joke, but I wish they would do it.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Shotokan1509
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
It's like chump change, but I think they said it's costs about 5-6 dollars a plate to make them. Time how many new plates they send out a year.....What a joke, but I wish they would do it.

Hmm, CT is a two plate state, and I think they charge $10 for new plates. Either way sounds like a waste of their breath.

Originally Posted by StickShifty
sure i will do it tomorrow.

Awesome. I had bought it when I had the GT bumper, it did not fit in the lower grill, only option was under the bumper but my car was even lower then and I was afraid of ripping it off. Now that it would fit the CS bumper, I just haven't built up the cojones to start drilling.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:27 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

I got pulled over and received a warning, he told me to use chicken wire or drill the bumper, I said sure. It hasn't happened yet, if I get pulled over again I'll look into the retractable one.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

In texas there is a bill in the state legislature to remove the requirement (both house and senate) it hasn't been voted on yet but I just recently e-mailed the rep and senator about it and got replys

so when they meet again they might pass it

there is no good reason to have a front plate
1. it would save money sicne they would still charge just as much but not have to make but 1 plate
2. it would make people happier as they wouldn't have to put holes where they don't want them
3. it would be "green" as it would make you more aerodynamic (ok not much but if you can say its at all green then you might get the greenies on your side) and it would lower the weight by a few ounces 9again not much just trying to win over the greenies)

the down sides are (or upsides depending on how you look at it)
1. cops would have 1 less fake reason to pull you over
2. cops would learn to use the radar gun on something other than the plate
3. front plate mounting products would drop in sales

as a principle I refuse to have a front plate on
last time I got a ticket with it mentioned I took a pic of the back plate mounted on the front and sent in the pic with a $10 court fee and all cleared up

ya its illegal to not have the front plate on but this is my form of protest and I'll keep paying the court fees

Last edited by Ford_Dude; 05-26-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
In texas there is a bill in the state legislature to remove the requirement (both house and senate) it hasn't been voted on yet but I just recently e-mailed the rep and senator about it and got replys

1. it would save money sicne they would still charge just as much but not have to make but 1 plate
2. it would make people happier as they wouldn't have to put holes where they don't want them
3. it would be "green" as it would make you more aerodynamic (ok not much but if you can say its at all green then you might get the greenies on your side) and it would lower the weight by a few ounces 9again not much just trying to win over the greenies)

last time I got a ticket with it mentioned I took a pic of the back plate mounted on the front and sent in the pic with a $10 court fee and all cleared up

ya its illegal to not have the front plate on but this is my form of protest and I'll keep paying the court fees
I like your style
Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop (using his laser gun) late last year. I'm sure when he was tagging me with the laser he saw I do not have a front plate and when he walked to the front of the car to check the stickers on the windshield he would have had to have seen again I have no front plate. He didn't say anything about it and I was only ticketed for the speeding (even though I was not going as fast as he says!).

It's lame to have a front plate. For one it looks ugly but also my motorcycle does not need one so why should my car? If they allow bicycles to ride on the road (which I'm 100% against) with no plates, no lights, no mirrors, no registration, etc then wtf?

Most of the laws we have are so freaking stupid. Then again, look who creates them. LOL!
Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
I wish I knew the retractable plate existed before allowing the dealership to drill holes in my front bumper. D'oah!!!
Same here! I hate that my state has the two plate law!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude

In VA they said the reason behind the front plate is to catch criminals. We have a lot of stop lights and intersections with cameras that are ready to take your picture if you run a red light. They also tell us it helps cut down on people getting gas and not paying.
I say it's all BULL_____!

Quick Reply: Pulled over for front license plate