Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over for front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 AM
abecker

Default Pulled over for front license plate

On the way home from work yesterday I saw a cop trying to make a left hand turn across traffic so I figured I'd slow down a little so he could get through.

What I get for being nice is he u-turned it after I passed him and pulled up right behind me. As I anticipated, following my next turn he turned the lights on.

He asked me why I didn't put it on. I told him the dealership refused to because they would have to drill into the front of the car (which is what the dealership told me). He asked how long I had the car, I said since last March. He asked if I've ever been given a warning before for the front license plate missing, I said no (which is true).

I ended up with just a lovely warning. But I don't know how many times I've driven by cops in my town (Illinois), and never been pulled over. I don't know what changed.

Anyway, so a couple questions:

1) Is it a moving violation to not have the front plate? I heard somewhere that it was (which would suck)

2) Is there a non-invasive way to put the plate on?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 11:09 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

best thing since sliced bread

http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...00U-p/400u.htm

here is a pic of mine, you just cant see it!
Attached Thumbnails Pulled over for front license plate-newsig.jpg  
Old 05-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the retractable frame. There are manual and remote controlled units.

Isn't it a bitch when we get stopped for doing something illegal?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Shotokan1509
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StickShifty
best thing since sliced bread

http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...00U-p/400u.htm

here is a pic of mine, you just cant see it!

Larger pics please, I have that mount and now have the CS bumper, I just haven't put them together yet. If possible, an under shot of where you mounted it, and directly above shot for how far it sticks out when folded, and how do you keep it from contacting the bumper? Mine seems to lay back a bit, more than a 90 degree when deployed.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Wow that retractable thing is sweet
+1000 on that
Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
vic21234

abecker, I'm a cop in a NW suburb of Chicago. How old are you? If you're younger, he was most likely just stopping you to check you out. If you have nothing to hide, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. A front plate violation is not a moving violation, and thats lame if a cop writes you a citation for just that. You have to really be rude and uncooperative to get cited for something so minor, in my opinion.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

The retractable frame is the only way I could deal with a plate on the front
I think this is the first time I've ever said this... PA ftw
Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Shotokan1509
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vic21234
abecker, I'm a cop in a NW suburb of Chicago. How old are you? If you're younger, he was most likely just stopping you to check you out. If you have nothing to hide, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. A front plate violation is not a moving violation, and thats lame if a cop writes you a citation for just that. You have to really be rude and uncooperative to get cited for something so minor, in my opinion.
No plate can be good or bad.

Bad, it's an excuse to pull you over.
Good, it's a "lesser offense" than some of the other things on your car the officer might notice, but just give you the plate ticket instead.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I wish I knew the retractable plate existed before allowing the dealership to drill holes in my front bumper. D'oah!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:00 PM
abecker

Originally Posted by vic21234
The officer seemed nice enough, which is why it didn't bother me too much that he pulled me over.

The moving violation aspect was what I was mainly worrying about. I'd hate to have my rates raised over something so trivial in the future.

It just caught me off guard because I've driven by officers in my town hundreds of times since I got my car without being pulled over.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for front license plate