MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   car shows (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/603029-car-shows.html)

mcstang 05-27-2010 09:04 AM

car shows

Hey everyone. I was on my way to work and I pulled into a small car show to get a quick look even though it hadn't officially started yet. They stopped me at the entrance and told me where to set up my car for the show. It was a great compliment... too bad I had to work! Anyway, it got me thinking. What things should you know going into a show? I've never even been to a good car show let alone have my car in one. My sig pic isn't up to date, but after my newest mods, I'm thinking that maybe I'd like to try some. Unfortunately I work almost every Saturday, but did see a couple that were on Sundays in the past. Also, what's the easiest way to find these shows? Thanks!

americaniron 05-27-2010 12:48 PM

The best way to find out what shows are happening in your area, is to get up with a local car club. They usually have a calender of all the events for a couple of months in advance. The local paper is another source.

Blue GT Mustang 05-27-2010 01:08 PM

You don't have your location in your post, but for Indiana car shows, the site http://www.oldcarsonly.com/ has a comprehensive listing by month and type of show.
I'm sure other states have a similar site.

kevinmalec 05-27-2010 01:26 PM

I am a new member with "Ford Performance Club of Atlanta" and we held a car show at a local Hooters two weeks ago. It was my 1st car show and I had a lot of fun!
Also, members keep us informed on other car shows locally in the area.
Check on the Mustang Forums and see if there are any Mustang clubs locally in your area that you can hook up with. =-)
Good luck!

marlon1 05-27-2010 02:01 PM

www.carshownews.com has a state by state listing, also check any local performace shops
or parts stores

antipeterleague 05-27-2010 02:06 PM

i wish i lived somewhere else cause the local mustang club banned me after i complained about the terrible service i received at a dealer that is a sponsor of the club.

Shotokan1509 05-27-2010 03:33 PM

Things to know? Is there an entry fee, is there a cutoff year (some shows are classics only, generally pre 1984 around here), how it is judged if its that kind of show (and how much you actually care about that).

Things to bring: Chair, cooler with drinks, suntan lotion

car detailing stuff:
quick detailer spray
dash cleaner
microfibers
tire shine
windshield stuff

I have a trunk organizer that I just keep the usual things in.

Some people have modification write-ups, build pics, etc.

deekum1627 05-27-2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by antipeterleague (Post 7026458)
i wish i lived somewhere else cause the local mustang club banned me after i complained about the terrible service i received at a dealer that is a sponsor of the club.

wow that really sucks sorry to hear bout that.

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509 (Post 7026606)
Things to know? Is there an entry fee, is there a cutoff year (some shows are classics only, generally pre 1984 around here), how it is judged if its that kind of show (and how much you actually care about that).

Things to bring: Chair, cooler with drinks, suntan lotion

car detailing stuff:
quick detailer spray
dash cleaner
microfibers
tire shine
windshield stuff

I have a trunk organizer that I just keep the usual things in.

Some people have modification write-ups, build pics, etc.

what kind of organizer do you have im looking for something to get?

Andretti 05-27-2010 07:10 PM

I've only been to a few, but here is what I've learned thus far:

Clean, clean, clean. I cleaned the hell out of my car PRIOR to going to the show. My latest show was this past sunday. I worked Saturday so Friday I put in prolly 4-5 hours cleaning the living hell out of a already very clean car. It was wonderful to watch the other owners polish the living hell out of their cars prior to the judging and I merely had to wipe off my wheels and then I was done. 05 mustang also made a comment to me a few days ago that wiping the living hell out of a car after driving it to the show might be that much more of a cause of scratching the paint since the car picked up a certain amount of dust/dirt on the drive over. Obviously, you need to have a clean car, but dont go overboard. Or at the very least, have the proper stuff and materials to do it right so to avoid doing any damage to the car/paint.

Bring suntan lotion, a comfortable collapsible chair, a good book, something to eat and drink that can keep everything cool. You might consider some sort of canapy, but if you do that, you MUST bring something to weigh it down. NOTHING will piss off others more than a gust of wind that lifts or moves your canapy and throws it into or onto their car. This would not make for a fun day.

Consider joining a few mustang clubs in your local area. I spoke with a neighbor who is in a Corvette club. He warned me that (and he might be right, he might not be) placing in some shows can be considerably more difficult if you are not a member (I realize how this sounds. There might be alot of truth to it, there might be only a little. It is what it is). The real benifit is having people to talk and BS with while you sit there for hours with your car.

Thats a start...

Andretti

05 Mustang 05-27-2010 07:24 PM

..and to add to all the useful information already given, you'll learn as you get out to more and more shows where to pay more attention to details and specifics on what to and what not to bring.

As for me, if it's a carshow, the car is completely cleaned inside & out the day before. Then, as Andretti mentioned, once I get there all I have to do is pop the hood, wipe down the rims and apply some tire shine (I usually don't apply tire shine prior just in case some slings off on the drive over).

If it's just a cruise-in, the car will still be cleaned, just not to level of detail....and I'll go ahead and apply tire shine, so that when I get there, I'll just pop the hood and leave it as it is. Cruise-in's are just for getting out and meeting new people and checking out rides...and that's how I treat it.