Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this CAI good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
designbc

Default Is this CAI good?

There is a guy in my area selling a BBK Cold Air Intake (05-10 V6). He said it is just like new for 75 bucks. I see this CAI sells for $199.99. I want to install it in my 2010 V6 with no mods so far. Is it any good? If I buy it should I install it or should I wait until I can get a tuner?
Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

It's decent but depends on your future mods. If you plan on doing more performance in the future, you may want a larger CAI. If not, BBK is decent, but you get the most out of it by getting a tune. You can run it without a tune right now, but you may throw a code. You won't see much of a difference either without a tune.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I've read a few threads where people were throwing codes with the BBK. Do a quick search in the forum. Cheaper is not always better. ;-)
+1 above....the CAI alone will give you minimal performance gain (5-7 hp). However, once you get a custom tune, then you can feel the drastic change in HP/Torqe!!!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-27-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

FYI - Here is a post I came across last week regarding BBK CAI.

BBK??? No Tune??? DON'T BELIEVE IT!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2006 V6 and bought the BBK that "doesn't require a tune"....WRONG!! I guess in SOME cases, the MAF curve is tolerant enough for some cars and not enough for others. The issue is that I was running too lean, so I bought a Diablo Preditor from a website that claimed to have a BBK CAI tune on the Predator....WRONG!!! No such thing (yet...hint hint Mike L) so another $50 for a custom tune that will fix everything....WRONG!!! After 4 days worth of emails and bad tunes, I gave up...so, I took the BBK off, installed an 87 Octane perf tune and have been running it that way. I will try again in the near future to reinstall and advance my MAF curve a little more and then log my data to check the KS PID...we shall see.

SO...If I had it to do all over again, I would buy the CAI/Tuner combo, beit SCT, Diablo, etc...if they're a matched set, you'll probably be better off...cheaper is not always better

Good Luck
Old 05-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You'll find all kinds of threads regarding CAI's w/o a tune (especially those that CLAIM to not require one), and threads regarding how useless a stand-alone CAI is vs a CAI & custom tune combo.

If you're money conscious, but the BBK for that good price but also get some custom tunes for it. You WON'T be sorry.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

I agree with Nuke. That's a good price so I'd go and pick it up but maybe keep it off the car until you can afford to get a tuner for it.

It's important to know that most of the power comes from the re-tune, not the intake. So once you get tuned, you're not going see a big difference if you switch from your BBK to an intake that says it requires a tune