Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top off with prestone 50/50?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Default Top off with prestone 50/50?

I noticed my coolant level was about 1/2 inch below the cold fill minimum, the owners manual indicates to only add coolant similar to what is already in the tank, prestone advertises "add to anything". What would you all recommend? Car is about to roll over 40,000 miles if that matters.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I'm not familiar with the premixed 50/50. If it's yellow, it should be okay. Walk away from it if it's green. RUN away from it if it's orange. That orange stuff is the worst antifreeze in the world in real life. It's okay if you have absolutely no leaks or seeps whatsoever. If the orange stuff comes in contact with air from outside the cooling system, it turns to gel. Another wonderful idea from GM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:26 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Leave it alone until it gets a little lower.
If it is working, dont touch it.
Read the Owners Manual about the approved coolants...
If you are asking, I am cringing thinking about it..
Prestone does not have to warranty the motor, Ford does.
Follow Fords recommendations, not Prestones....
Old 05-29-2010, 11:46 AM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Leave it alone until it gets a little lower.
If it is working, dont touch it.
Read the Owners Manual about the approved coolants...
If you are asking, I am cringing thinking about it..
Prestone does not have to warranty the motor, Ford does.
Follow Fords recommendations, not Prestones....
I would rather get to it now then when the car starts to overheat or have other problems. I have read the owners manual and I know they recommend Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (yellow). Although prestone will not warranty my motor, neither will ford. My warranty is well expired and I wanted to know if anyone had used the cheaper, more readily available prestone branded coolant as they do advertise "add to anything". My ford dealership wanted 50$ for a motorcraft cabin air filter that they claimed didn't exist until I showed it to them, I can't imagine what they would charge for motorcraft coolant. The autozone near me did not have motorcraft so should I go searching for it/take the high price or has anyone else used a substitute?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:31 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
I'm not familiar with the premixed 50/50. If it's yellow, it should be okay. Walk away from it if it's green. RUN away from it if it's orange. That orange stuff is the worst antifreeze in the world in real life. It's okay if you have absolutely no leaks or seeps whatsoever. If the orange stuff comes in contact with air from outside the cooling system, it turns to gel. Another wonderful idea from GM.
By "orange stuff" I assume you are referring to Dex-cool. Yes, Dex-cool is the stupidest thing. It's like asking for problems...

Old 05-29-2010, 04:32 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by TypeS
I would rather get to it now then when the car starts to overheat or have other problems. I have read the owners manual and I know they recommend Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (yellow). Although prestone will not warranty my motor, neither will ford. My warranty is well expired and I wanted to know if anyone had used the cheaper, more readily available prestone branded coolant as they do advertise "add to anything". My ford dealership wanted 50$ for a motorcraft cabin air filter that they claimed didn't exist until I showed it to them, I can't imagine what they would charge for motorcraft coolant. The autozone near me did not have motorcraft so should I go searching for it/take the high price or has anyone else used a substitute?
Lets see, kinda low and you add to it before the overheating occures.
Kinda putting the cart in front of the horse?
How about finding the leak that caused the low level and
fixing that before adding more coolant with your band-aid approach
to vehicle maintenance.
A little low never caused any overheating with a properly
working cooling system (water pump, radiator, collant cap ect.).
The actual volume of coolant has little effect on the
cooling system to a point. Then it all goes downhill
from there. Your 1/4" low (BTW, when did you check this,
engine stone cold or warm) is miles away from the danger zone.
I would find the leak and fix that so the system does not
leave you stranded instead of just filling her up and letting
the coolant continue to leak out all over gods green earth...

Cabin Air filters are $11 at THE zONE.
WHAT YOU DOING BUYING PARTS AT THE STEALERSHIP, anyhow.
fricken caps lock. I wouldnt be admitting to that on a Mustang Forum.

I think I hear your brake pads saying, replace me, replace me....

Last edited by 157dB; 05-29-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:44 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I use Prestone. No problems.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:11 PM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Lets see, kinda low and you add to it before the overheating occures.
Kinda putting the cart in front of the horse?
How about finding the leak that caused the low level and
fixing that before adding more coolant with your band-aid approach
to vehicle maintenance.
A little low never caused any overheating with a properly
working cooling system (water pump, radiator, collant cap ect.).
The actual volume of coolant has little effect on the
cooling system to a point. Then it all goes downhill
from there. Your 1/4" low (BTW, when did you check this,
engine stone cold or warm) is miles away from the danger zone.
I would find the leak and fix that so the system does not
leave you stranded instead of just filling her up and letting
the coolant continue to leak out all over gods green earth...

Cabin Air filters are $11 at THE zONE.
WHAT YOU DOING BUYING PARTS AT THE STEALERSHIP, anyhow.
fricken caps lock. I wouldnt be admitting to that on a Mustang Forum.

I think I hear your brake pads saying, replace me, replace me....
Well.. 4 years on this forum and I've run in to my first condescending response, I guess I was overdue. Next time you try to help someone by responding to a post, please don't just assume they know nothing.

I am very well aware that the coolant being slighly low will not overheat my car, I want to top it off for my own peace of mind. I just wanted to know what to use. I HAVE searched for a leak with no success, so I will do the next best thing and just top it off. I also have the ability to read just as you do, the first place I go when I have a question about the car is the owners manual. I checked the coolant level after letting the car sit overnight. My example about the cabin air filter was simply to show my reluctance to return to said stealership because they charge such high prices for motorcraft products. All I was looking for was an answer as to what to top it off with; If it's motorcraft I will go searching for it at a good price, if it's prestone then I'll simply return to autozone, or if anyone has a another recommendation I'm all ears.

Oh and as for my brake pads, they are far from the "you waited too long" screech.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:32 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TypeS
Well.. 4 years on this forum and I've run in to my first condescending response, I guess I was overdue. Next time you try to help someone by responding to a post, please don't just assume they know nothing.

I am very well aware that the coolant being slighly low will not overheat my car, I want to top it off for my own peace of mind. I just wanted to know what to use. I HAVE searched for a leak with no success, so I will do the next best thing and just top it off. I also have the ability to read just as you do, the first place I go when I have a question about the car is the owners manual. I checked the coolant level after letting the car sit overnight. My example about the cabin air filter was simply to show my reluctance to return to said stealership because they charge such high prices for motorcraft products. All I was looking for was an answer as to what to top it off with; If it's motorcraft I will go searching for it at a good price, if it's prestone then I'll simply return to autozone, or if anyone has a another recommendation I'm all ears.

Oh and as for my brake pads, they are far from the "you waited too long" screech.
Too bad the ignore function doesn't work with quoted posts too.

I had the same reservations about using the Prestone that's good for everything. But I have used it with no problems. I also believe in changing the fluid out every couple of years so I'm never going to see the benefit of the extended life anyway.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:01 PM
jake86

a gallon of gold coolant from ford is 15 bucks ... ive had my coolant range drop to about half an inch below the cold fill range .. i let the car run idle and watched the coolant rise to the middle of the cold fill range when the car warmed and thermo opens up ... then goes back down and up in the exact same way ,,, i guess your coolant drops when the car is off.>? ensures the radiator is always full .. is that missing coolant still in the engine and filling up the radiator ? so a drop in coolant in the expansion tank is normal ? anybody please reply > is the coolant level up and down normal ? or is normal constantly at the middle of cold fill range?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top off with prestone 50/50?