MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Rattle from rear deck lid? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/603442-rattle-from-rear-deck-lid.html)

one eyed willy 05-30-2010 11:36 AM

Rattle from rear deck lid?

anyone else find/have a rattle from the upper/rear deck lid?

ive had this rattle for awhile,ive tightened everything under the car thinking it was under the car, it didnt help at all,didnt change the noise at all....so that makes me think its coming from the trunk. so i removed the all the interior trunk panels,spare tire/jack and that didnt do anything.

it only happens over bumps or rough roads.i tap on the bottom of the speakers and i can kinda hear the same noise and it sounds like its from the metal around the speakers.

its driving me freakin NUTS!!

next, with the trunk interior out,im going to ride with the back seats down and see if it gets louder.

anyone have this rattle? howd you fix? i dont really want to take all the rear panels out to get to the damn rear deck but at this point ill do it!

socalwrench 05-30-2010 11:40 AM

The only rattle I've developed on my 2008, is from the dash, right near the head unit.

This may sound stupid, but check that your spare time and jack are held down tight.

one eyed willy 05-30-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by socalwrench (Post 7031131)
The only rattle I've developed on my 2008, is from the dash, right near the head unit.

This may sound stupid, but check that your spare time and jack are held down tight.

Originally Posted by one eyed willy (Post 7031125)
so i removed the all the interior trunk panels,spare tire/jack and that didnt do anything.

its not coming from the dash and i already said i removed the tire and jack....

Tylus 05-30-2010 12:36 PM

do you have one of those personalized liscense plate covers? I had a slightly rattle from mine that ony occurs on harder bumps.

some double sided tape under the bottom edges of it cured that issue.

one eyed willy 05-30-2010 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tylus (Post 7031208)
do you have one of those personalized liscense plate covers? I had a slightly rattle from mine that ony occurs on harder bumps.

some double sided tape under the bottom edges of it cured that issue.

i have a frame around the tag,ill check that out,its doubtful but hey,at this point....i know its something other than obvious and im willing to check anything out!!

Tylus 05-30-2010 01:00 PM

also, have you checked your exhaust pipes? my 03 GT had a problem with the exhaust pipes rattling on the axle whenever the suspension was compressed on bumps.

there was a clean spot rubbed on the pipes when I finally crawled under there. took a BIG hammer and solved that issue in about 5 minutes. never did it again

MOOK3456 05-30-2010 01:04 PM

Try taking the cover off and taking a look. It could be something stupid like a speaker/screw loose or some other loose piece of metal (dropped screw, etc..) just sitting under the cover.

06z28eater 05-30-2010 02:08 PM

my trunk does the same crap, its annoying as hell

NJ3 05-30-2010 04:11 PM

The black cover that covers the trunk lock/latch mechanism on mine rattles like crazy when I close the trunk, I can't see how to secure it any better.

deekum1627 05-30-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by NJ3 (Post 7031424)
The black cover that covers the trunk lock/latch mechanism on mine rattles like crazy when I close the trunk, I can't see how to secure it any better.

get some felt and glue it around the inner of that piece and it will be fine.

willy you said when you tap the speakers u can kinda hear it, try takin the speakers out see what happend.