Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights look yellow-ish...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99horsey
FYI, here's a good page for everything you wanted to know (and a bunch you didn't) on automotive bulbs: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...lbs/bulbs.html
Not sure about some of the things said but I guarantee the Silvania SS are a ****-ton brighter than the stock headlights.

I can see a LOT more of the area infront of my car now.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:32 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jizz
Not sure about some of the things said but I guarantee the Silvania SS are a ****-ton brighter than the stock headlights.

I can see a LOT more of the area infront of my car now.
I can't argue that! I think the main point being made about any bulb with blue tinting is that they aren't as bright as they could be (the tinting by definition reduces the light by a few lumens). That being said, any good aftermarket bulb is going to be brighter than OE. The best bulb's I've ever used are the Philips X-Treme Power. They're expensive and you can't get them in stores, but they're very bright and incredibly focused. The new HIR2 bulbs are supposed to be about 50% brighter yet again than the X-Treme Power and even better focused (shorter filament), but I haven't tried them.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CincyGT2009
Yes, the SSs are great. I used to run them on my Taurus. I will replace my stock bulbs with SSs when necessary. Personally, I think the stock lights are fantastic when used with the fogs...
They're blinding though. I try not to run my fogs when cars are facing me.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:36 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
They're blinding though. I try not to run my fogs when cars are facing me.
Your fogs are that bright?

My fogs are pretty low aimed so as to cover the road directly in front of me (maybe 5-6 ft) so they are pretty dim when viewed from any car at eye level. I would think yours would be like that too?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Your fogs are that bright?

My fogs are pretty low aimed so as to cover the road directly in front of me (maybe 5-6 ft) so they are pretty dim when viewed from any car at eye level. I would think yours would be like that too?
I've been flashed by other cars before as well as pulled over by a cop who thought I had my high beams on. Let off with a verbal warning.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
I've been flashed by other cars before as well as pulled over by a cop who thought I had my high beams on. Let off with a verbal warning.
4 lights being on is the only reason. The last, was as per usual, the cop flexing his douche muscle. Control is their only constant, and they can never be wrong or contradicted, it loses face/control.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-19-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

Just remember -- In stock vehicles your highbeams and fogs cannot be on at the same time.

If your fogs are on and you hit the highs the fogs turn off.

So if you are pulled over you can explain <--- if they want to listen.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Just remember -- In stock vehicles your highbeams and fogs cannot be on at the same time.

If your fogs are on and you hit the highs the fogs turn off.

So if you are pulled over you can explain <--- if they want to listen.
I told them exactly that. Pretty sure that's what got me off. None the less, he said they were blinding and not to run them facing on coming traffic. Now I use them only when no other cars are around and on the freeway.

As for people flashing me for having 4 lights on. I doubt that's it. I've owned other cars before with bumper fog lights (versus our grille fog lights) and never got flashed. I honestly do think ours fogs can be blinding.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It would at least be possible for the foglights in some cars to actually be aimed a little higher than they are in other cars. Dimensional tolerances in the grille and its mounting for one. Cars that are lowered more in the rear than in the front either by choice for appearance reasons or because of rear seat passengers and/or extra weight in the trunk for another.

Sometimes a lighting issue is what the cop says he stopped you for, when he might have seen you running a bit harder than you should have been.

Norm
Old 02-19-2011, 11:00 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Never noticed it before. So I cannot say what they looked like before. I will check the V+ at the lights.
Be sure and use the ground wire at the headlight
socket as well as the V+ as a direct wire to ground
from the DVM can show perfect voltage on the V+
when there is actually low voltage at the bulb socket
from a bad ground wire/connection.
Check your ground connections for voltage drop as well.
The grounds are above the headlight buckets
by the hood prop hinge on the left side.

Try aiming you headlights/fogs per Fords directions.Once you start changing springs and leveling
out the ol S197, the headlights as well as the
fogs start to point towards the moon.

Last edited by 157dB; 02-19-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Headlights look yellow-ish...