Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alot more noise after a short-throw installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:30 PM
gipht1
2nd Gear Member

Is the MGW that much quieter then the other? How about the throws? I get stuck sometimes going to 3rd if I go in at an angle n Im hoping a shifter would help with that. They offered me the Roush at my local shop..
Old 06-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

How could you not recognize the noise difference? It's not like it's a slight change.

The odd thing, though, was that I even called Roush support, and both guys there had no idea where any extra sound would come from, as if they'd never even heard of such a thing happening.

I did look at the MGW when I was shopping around. Ended up going with this one because I wanted to retain the stock shifter, and I don't like the way alot of short throws add extra length to the shift stick.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 PM
gipht1
2nd Gear Member

I think the mgw lets you keep the stock shifter? and it lets you adjust the height too.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Don't know, but I wasn't fond of how it looked either. I went with the low/simple look.

Anyways, I ordered the Dynamat Xtreme speaker kit. Really hoping it takes the decibels down a few notches on the rollover noise.

I also wonder if a second layer would give twice the sound dampening. Anyone know?
Old 06-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xibar
Don't know, but I wasn't fond of how it looked either. I went with the low/simple look.

Anyways, I ordered the Dynamat Xtreme speaker kit. Really hoping it takes the decibels down a few notches on the rollover noise.

I also wonder if a second layer would give twice the sound dampening. Anyone know?
Not sure about the double layer. I considered getting back under the car and using the second sheet from the underside since its just sitting on my took box. Also, just follow the instructions for the short throw shifter to see about pulled the console. Its easy to do. Oh and not sure if it did anything, but i put a small tab of dynamat in between the shifter and the arm, where the serrated teeth lock together. It seemed to dampen the vibes that I heard when my hand wasn't on the shifter.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

You know... I was mulling over putting some onto the actual stick further down. So it's not just me, you can actually hear the noise difference when your hand is on the ****. Did you wrap it around or just stick a flat tab on somehow?

Was also thinking about combining your idea with putting another layer OVER the foam insulating pad (or just replacing the pad with the Dynamat) to further cut down noise.

Did the triangle-shaped pieces you cut interfere with the rubber shifter grommet being put back in?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

The triangles folded under didn't compromise the dust boot or its ability to be installed. Since that stock sound deadening piece just sits there Im not so sure it would help to much in reducing sound if you put dynamat on it. the dynamat absorbs the vibrations, and that stock piece is more of a sounded barrier. Your issues are stemming from vibrations traveling through the car.

I stuck the tab in between the mating surfaces of the shifter itself and the shifter arm. I didn't want to wrap it around due to there being possible issues with getting the boot over that portion.

There may be some benefit in adding some tabs of the mat in between the lower rear attaching points (on the underside of the tranny tunnel) where the stiffer bushing resides. Not sure though.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Should have bought the MGW, it's far superior in quality.
MGW is nice, but it's still louder than stock. Anything that improves the firmness of the shifter will transmit more noise into the car.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Misbehavin
MGW is nice, but it's still louder than stock. Anything that improves the firmness of the shifter will transmit more noise into the car.
it's still quieter than any other aftermarket shifter
Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
it's still quieter than any other aftermarket shifter
Point being though, that someone that swaps out the stock shifter would still notice increased noise regardless of brand.

Quick Reply: Alot more noise after a short-throw installed