Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alot more noise after a short-throw installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 AM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Misbehavin
Point being though, that someone that swaps out the stock shifter would still notice increased noise regardless of brand.
I would agree. MGW makes a great product but it cannot ignore the laws of physics. When you want to upgrade to a short throw it should NEVER be because you want less noise. It should be because you want a tighter, shorter throw.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 AM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Misbehavin
MGW is nice, but it's still louder than stock. Anything that improves the firmness of the shifter will transmit more noise into the car.
Yep, it's a compromise. When a part is changed to improve performance something else always suffers. My car is so much noisier and harsher than when new but that's the price to pay to play.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 PM
shonole
2nd Gear Member

I'm installing my short throw tomorrow (it's a Hurst, but I got a great deal on it, so it can hold me over until I can get an MGW), and am considering using a spray on deadener. I've never used one before, but I thought it would be good for this application.

Any opinions on this product?
http://www.parts-express.com//pe/sho...TOKEN=50333464
Old 06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

^^^ interesting.....let us know how it goes. And as far as what the point in rubber (OEM) bushings with a short throw - it may not be as firm and as positive, but it would sure as hell be nicer to drive and still be better than the squishy stocker altogether. Noisy shifters.....ewww - my Hurst and my ole school Muncie was even quiet
Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

I don't think it's fair to say that the MGW shifter is noisy. The shifter itself it not; it's the rest of the car (tranny, engine, etc) that seems to be noisier after the install. This is my first and only manual, let alone after-market shifter, so I have no history to compare to, but it just seems like this transmission is loud, and with the change in shifter it becomes....well....louder Oh well....it's getting nice outside, and with the windows open you can't really tell a difference. Guess I'll be okay until winter; maybe then I'll buy a set of earplugs or just turn the radio up haha.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Agreed with HypromanGT ... the engine and especially transmission / flywheel noise was MUCH louder after my MGW install. I had read about it being a little louder but it was loud enough that I thought I might have done something wrong.

Having said that, I love my MGW and have gotten used to the added noise.

It does allow you to reuse the stock handle and can put it at the exact same height or higher or lower.