Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Lethal Performance 2011 5.0L Mustang GT Project Car Has Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:28 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

http://assets2.motorator.com/uploads...jpg?1214644886

Red = Approximate amount of total pressure one would be able to run on 93 octane. Numbers along the top are boost numbers in PSI.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:29 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Ok fine *** it. 11:1 compression will destroy the world to hell with TiVCT and boost is HP and if you can't make X psi of boost then the engine sucks.
Internet car math; it's flawless.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:13 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
This is all pretty speculative. It's known that higher compression motors make more HP per lb of boost. It cannot be argued. Of course, you'll run into pre-detonation issues earlier, but it won't matter, it'll make more power with less boost. I don't understand your post of "BUT you are already getting more power from higher compression" part. A higher comp motor literally makes more HP per lb of boost over lower compression motors.
It depends on if your goal is total output vs money spent, or percentage increase vs money spent. If you want a 500 rwhp mustang, go buy a 2011, get a supercharger and put 3 or 4 psi of boost on it. Considering the higher compression, even at that boost you will probably need an intercooler. So all things being equal, if spending $7-8k on a 2011 gets you the same end rwhp as spending $7-8k on a 2005-2010 model, what is the 5.0 getting you? On the other hand, if that same $7-8k will get you 600-650 rwhp reliably, then you actually have a situation where it is beneficial to get a 2011 mustang.
Originally Posted by replica
I'm not sure about this doubling of power on the 3v. It seems they start to pop around the 450whp mark. I'm sure there are exceptions, but 450 seems to be the end of safe territory on a stock block. Regardless, I think we'll both have a pretty good time seeing what becomes of the 5.0 in the months to come and look forward to discussing it.
450 rwhp, which can easily be acheived with 8 psi of boost on a good tune (I got 440 on a super rich troubleshooting tune with 8.5 psi), is approximately 529 bhp. The stock engine is rated at 300 bhp. That is an increase of 229 hp over the factory 300, or in other words, a 76.3% increase. Pretty close to double, but if that isn't close enough, read on:

10 psi is fairly universally recognized as the limit on the stock internals on the 4.6 3v, and I have seen daily drivers with 12 psi and no problems. RWHP is totally dependent on factors like the type of compressor you run (twin screw, turbo, roots, centri), the accessories you drive (water pump, alternator, AC, etc), the type of trans you have, the type of flywheel (if 5 speed), driveline, wheel mass, and tire mass. The forces on the crank and rods are the same with 8 psi from a supercharger as they are with 8 psi from a turbo, but the turbo isn't driven by the crank, so that power makes it to the wheels. In other words, you can't use 450rwhp as the limit on these engines, but rather use a boost level given that you won't have a crappy tune that pushes AF ratios or timing advance too far. For example, turbos have substantially less parasitic loss than any supercharger, and can make over 500 rwhp on 8-9 psi. 500 rwhp is approximately 588 bhp, or a 96% improvement over stock. That is pretty close to doubling the power in my book. I am very certain that I can hit the 500 rwhp mark with 10 psi, a good tune, and a stage 2 TB, and still be "safe".

All that being said, I agree that it will be interesting to see what comes of the 2011 in the way of bolt on performance.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I don't know of any full trim 3V 4.6 GTs that went 11's with bolt-ons and tires......or 10's NA with stock motor and tranny. That's all I'm gonna say about this "4V 5.0 doesn't mod impressively" nonsense.

Power numbers don't tell the whole story. This new 4V doesn't run out of breath up top like the 3V 4.6's do. Combine that with a high rev limit and you've got a helluva screamer that screams just that much harder when massaged a little. Believe that. This motor will impress (both NA and blown) once tuners get it figured out as well as they have with the 3V 4.6.
^^^^^^^this is the best post other than from the op imo
off topic I for one can't wait to see what happens when the tunners start playing with the lowly 3.7
Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

It's really hilarious though.........for the first time in a while Ford has given us a motor that can deliver the goods in NA form, and here we are: a bunch of ppl are bitching about it's supercharging capabilities. I seem to recall that blowers were popular for the 4.6 because you couldn't pull sh*t for power out of them without blowing into it. The new 5.0 will make over 400rwhp with bolt-ons, something you can't say for the 4.6.

3V 4.6 internals were generally considered unsafe past the 450rwhp level (which required anywhere from 8-10 lbs of boost to achieve)......so after that you were having to beef up the internals. I'll bet anything that even a low boost 5.0 (say...4 to 5 lbs of boost) will easily make 450rwhp or more without any concerns about the stock internals. After that, you put some lower compression pistons and better rods in......turn up the boost.........and embarrass a similarly set-up 3V across the entire power band. I guess I'm just not understanding the mentality here. Equally modded the 5.0 will outperform the 3V 4.6 (and I owe that more to the highly efficient 4V heads rather than the small bit of extra displacement). And I'm betting before the year is over you'll see what I'm talking about. If you don't believe me, try reading up on some of the technical articles about the Coyote.

I'll tell you right now, if I ever get a new 5.0, I won't be looking to supercharge or turbocharge it. Some solid tuning, full exhaust, and some decent tires will make this car quicker than my supercharged 05 GT. And I won't have all the hassle of 80-90 lbs of extra hardware sitting over my front axle.