Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering A 2011 Mustang V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 AM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
Just wanted to correct one thing in the above where you say, "it gets you (and keeps you) in your power band sooner and longer."
That is partly correct but quite a bit incorrect too.
True it will get you into your power band sooner if you are starting at an rpm that's out of the power band to begin with, but if you start in the correct gear that puts you into the power band it won't get you into the power band any faster, since you are already IN the power band.
Next, it does NOT keep you in the power band longer. The lower the gears (higher number) the FASTER you will actually go through the power band and require an upshift.
That's also the drawback of guys who automatically think getting 4.10's or 4.56's or whatever means faster.
It may FEEL faster as you rip through the gears faster, but keep in mind, in many instances you are much better off being in 3rd at 6500 rpm with say 3.55's than you are in 3rd at 6800 rpm with 3.73's
The car with 3.55's will be at the power peak of 6400 while the 3.73 car is on the down swing of the power band as it nears redline. Furthermore, the 3.73 car will then need to shift sooner, dropping them back a bit just as the 3.55 car is surging ahead for those last 300 rpms before it has to shift.

Hence the reason I've said that 3.55 gears on the GT is a better drag race ratio than the 3.73's when on street tires, as you get through the 1/4 in 4th with no additional shift to 5th needed. That additional shift to 5th will cost more time and speed in the 1/4 than what the 3.55's will lose in acceleration when in gear.

Yes, clearly the Electronics Package is just more than a NAV screen. But you are aware Sync is also standard on the non Electronic package car when the Premium Package is ordered, and further, Magallan's and Garmin's already have audio turn by turn directions and have for years. So if the current Ford NAV doesn't have that, that blows, and if Sync 3.0 is currently available and has it, they should of had it on Sync 1.0 when $139 plug in NAV systems have had it for several years already.

About the gears....you're right about the quarter mile and having to shift, and you're also right about the "keeping you in the powerband" comment.

About SYNC, yes, I knew it was on the premium packages as standard, but many features (album art retreival and display, travel link, 10GB hdd) are not standard. That's all I was saying. If all he wanted was NAV, as long as he can get by without a screen, he can just stick with SYNC, but if he wanted all the other features, he'd need to get the electronics pack. I'm not disagreeing with you, just clearifying what I meant earlier.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Taller gears = Fun

I bought my Mustang to have fun.

I bet you did too

Get the taller gears... it's a no-brainer

The other stuff is just icing on the cake.

A mustang is about the kick in the pants and sound... not about a backup camera.
you mean shorter gears.
The 3.31's are shorter than the stock 2.73's
Think of it this way, the higher the number the shorter time you spend in each gear.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

If you go with the '11, I'd love to hear a comparison to your Evo. I know they are two completely different animal, but still...
Old 06-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Tnnrx7

Originally Posted by alec231236
If you go with the '11, I'd love to hear a comparison to your Evo. I know they are two completely different animal, but still...
Man I will miss her a lot, the car is great. Just time for me to get something newer that has some more luxury options. I've got to experience my taste of raw performance and loved it. Performance and handling wise though, I don't expect it to be on any level as the Evo. Needless to say, I will own another Evo one day.

Here's some pics:

Old 06-17-2010, 07:12 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tnnrx7
Man I will miss her a lot, the car is great. Just time for me to get something newer that has some more luxury options. I've got to experience my taste of raw performance and loved it. Performance and handling wise though, I don't expect it to be on any level as the Evo. Needless to say, I will own another Evo one day.

Here's some pics:

wow, thats a long way from a mustang....it might be quicker but dang... i cant imagine that turning any heads..
Old 06-18-2010, 06:34 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Harsh!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:44 AM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

that's a good lookin' Evo... who cares about turning heads.. it will kick the stangs butt at the track... and THAT's what is important. If you want to turn heads.... you can just drop your pants on the corner sidewalk. Sounds silly, but I cross-shopped the Evo and Stang....I just had to have a V8 rumble though... and $ will go into the suspension... still won't hit the Evo though... but our cruises will be more fun in the stang.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:44 AM
eurocobra

[QUOTE=Driver72;7057285]
3. Now I can't speak for the "Electronics Package" on the Ford car, but to me a $2,340 for what is essentially a NAV system is expensive. Get a $150 Magallan and keep it in the glove box, if you are ever lost or need directions, it takes all of a few seconds to plug in and get you where you need to go.
Plus if you keep the car for a long time, it's one less thing to worry about going haywire when the 3 year 36k warranty expires.
QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DS_...os=WIP-DyoB0q8

Awesome option and not only a Nav system.

Regarding reliability, for technicians its is easy to troubleshoot, upgrade, and probably will not go haywire. I have been researching this for a couple of years now.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Taller gears = Fun

I bought my Mustang to have fun.

I bet you did too

Get the taller gears... it's a no-brainer

The other stuff is just icing on the cake.

A mustang is about the kick in the pants and sound... not about a backup camera.
The last line is so well put. My car came with MyColor and I have used it exactly NEVER. All of these add-ons to me are crazy, if only they would bring out a stripper ie cloth seats, roll up windows no air etc etc. Fact is all auto manufacturers pad their bottom lines with all these options, obviously.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 PM
aliasmax

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
The last line is so well put. My car came with MyColor and I have used it exactly NEVER. All of these add-ons to me are crazy, if only they would bring out a stripper ie cloth seats, roll up windows no air etc etc. Fact is all auto manufacturers pad their bottom lines with all these options, obviously.
I don't know about you but i don't keep my vehicles forever. I buy a vehicle as loaded as i can. When it comes time to sell, it will go for more money and sell faster than a striped vehicle. Thats my view and it has worked for me.

Quick Reply: Ordering A 2011 Mustang V6