Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under Drive Pulley installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:46 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Under Drive Pulley installation

I thought about taking the fan off, but it was not obvious to me how to do it. It looked like it was part of the shrowd assembly and the Antifreeze and Steering pump reservoirs were attached to it. I did not want to mess with that. It certainly would have made the job much easier. I tried putting the car in 1st gear and using a braker bar but I kept tutning the engine. My Bolt was on really tight. My torque wrench only goes to 120 Ft-lbs and it was pegged as I was trying to loosen the bolt.

I used my impact ratchet and the bolt was so tight it blew the seal on the ratchet. I thought mine was old, so I went and bought a new one at Sears and it did the same thing. That's when I bought the impact wrench.

I never thought of using a 2 jaw puller. I made 4 trips back and forth to autozone trying to get the right pullers. First they gave me an installer instead of a puller. That was OK, I would need it later anyway. Then they gave me the puller with the slots and the bolts. I thought this would be what I needed because it is what the Motoblue pulley would use. When I looked at the OEM pulley, there were no treaded holes. I went back to Autozone and they gave a 3j aw pulle but the jaws were to close and would not fit. Then, finally, they gave me a puller for a chrysler and that fit, but the jaws kept slipping. Maybe the 2 jaw puller would have made the job easier. The three jaw puller was a real pain in the you know what. I'm still sore 2 day later from leaning over the car for sol long. Without exageration, I worked on the lower pulley for 3 hours on saturday afternoon and another 2 hrs Saturday evening.

I think if I had all of the tools and some prior experience I might have tried it, but if I had known I would be spending an entire Saturday working on it and hurting for 2 days afterwards, I definitely would have paid someone else to do it.

95% of the job is a piece of cake, it's just that lower pulley that was a killer.

I'm glad yours went a lot smoother. If you can post some info on how to remove the fan, that might help others.

OD