Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overcharging for Gear/Header install?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Default Overcharging for Gear/Header install?

I'm in the market for gears, and shorty headers, and I inquired a local NJ shop regarding the cost of installation, and they wanted over $1,000 for the installation.

I was completely perplexed. The cost of the products is less than half of the installation in itself!

I've heard of some high estimates for the installation of both products in different threads, and this seems like one of the higher prices ever posted.

So basically, should I keep shopping around? Are there any shops that have been used in NJ, that you would trust with gears install?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 PM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

That does sound kinda high. I would shop around some more. If you are paying for install costs I would at least make it worth it and go long tubes. The gear install I wouldnt cheap out on since you can have issues if not done properly.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by branman1
That does sound kinda high. I would shop around some more. If you are paying for install costs I would at least make it worth it and go long tubes. The gear install I wouldnt cheap out on since you can have issues if not done properly.
For the amount they are charging me for the shorty headers, my exact thoughts were to get long tubes.

I also completely understand about the gears. I do not want to deal with problems, so I want to get it done right the first time, but $600+ for gear install is a bit much I think.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Shop around. you may get a better price but it wont be a whole lot less for installing both gears and headers at the same time! I too am considering headers and would rather go with LTs than shorties..but you have to keep in mind that here in N.J with strict emissions testing every 2 years..if you cant install them yourself your gonna have to pay someone to reinstall just to pass inspection , which would be an $$$ PITA every 2 years! shorties are the only logical choice for us it seems. where at in N.J are you?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:42 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Other than AM selling Pypes shorty headers for $275 shipped, the strict emissions is a major PITA. Also, I figured they would be cheaper to install since removing the engine isn't required. I was hoping to swap out the mid pipe and axle back with the stock setup, and leave the headers in. I would assume it would pass.

I'm in the Union County area. Where are you located at?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Im in salem county, just across the bridge from delaware. you can get away with the shortys, just not the LTs,as they change the location of the factory cats and DMV looks under the car with mirrors...damn jersey! the install price would probably be the same for either headers though.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by soon2bu
Other than AM selling Pypes shorty headers for $275 shipped, the strict emissions is a major PITA. Also, I figured they would be cheaper to install since removing the engine isn't required. I was hoping to swap out the mid pipe and axle back with the stock setup, and leave the headers in. I would assume it would pass.

I'm in the Union County area. Where are you located at?

remove the engine to install headers?? Im in the customer service business and people will question our prices as well (we are the high guys in town).....i tell them we are worth it and until we do the work we cant really show them, but to trust me and we will do a great job, alot better thn anyone around and we will always support them in the future, some people bite and some people go with other companies......then a few months down the road they call us up and need us to come fix what the other cheaper company did.....so they not only paid our premium in the end but also paid some hack.....plus we charge extra to fix other peoples crap. not saying this is the case with everyone and everything......what i am saying is dont judge just based from the price.....find out what kind of work they do first, no reason to pay a premium price unless you get premium service!!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Maybe contact the shops that specialize in Mustangs and see what they would charge you? Only ones that I can think of that are reasonably close are CJPonyParts, Laural Mountain Mustang, and MarylandSpeed.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 AM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
Maybe contact the shops that specialize in Mustangs and see what they would charge you? Only ones that I can think of that are reasonably close are CJPonyParts, Laural Mountain Mustang, and MarylandSpeed.
The shop I contacted specialized in 200+ Mustangs. But I will try and find the location of the above mentioned shops. Thank you.

I also agree that I do not want to cheap out, and I won't. If I can't find a price that I'm happy with, I unfortunately just will not buy it.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

brenspeed charges 650 for header install and 500 for gear install so its comparable to a reputable shop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overcharging for Gear/Header install?