Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Krazed
1st Gear Member

Default Hood Struts

I've been looking to buy some hood struts so I can get rid of that pesky prop rod.

It seems that QuickLift is the standard here, but I've also found a pair at www.mustangracing.com

I was just curious if anyone has the MRT ones installed on their 05 yet? I would prefer them to eliminate the need to drill into my hood, but I don't want to get something that I'll just have to replace.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hood Struts

but 99 bucks, I think the redlines look cleaner.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Krazed
1st Gear Member

The QuickLifts definately look nicer, I'm not debating that. I'm just not too sure about drilling and putting rivets in my hood. I'm pretty good with the bolt-on stuff, but I wouldn't want to put a hole in my hood that isn't supposed to be there. I guess I could get a shop to install them for me, but that kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:47 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I just put them in last week. It was very simple. As far drilling holes in your roof, it's not too bad as long as you take some basic precautiions. I used the following procedure:

1) measure as directed and mark the spots where the brackets are going to go with a black sharpie marker.
2) use a punch or a sharp nail to make an indentation where the marks are.
3) use a small drill bit and drill a pilot hole. Put a thick band of duct tape or masking take 1/4" from the tip of the drill bit. This will make sure you don't go too deep and drill through the hood
4) use the drill bit size indicated and drill the final holes using the same procedure as above.
5) Finally, put the brackets in place and rivet them in.

To be on the safe side, buy two new titanium drill bits. You want to make sure you are using sharp bits.

The install was very simple. The entire job took about 20 minutes with several brakes and going slow.

One last thing, on the passenger's side, the windshield washer hose will need to be moved. It is in the way of the bracket. You will need to drill a hole for this also.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Zeio
1st Gear Member

Hey man, I was the same way before installing these on my car because I'm no car expert and don't have experience drilling or doing anything more than bolt-ons, but I must say that it was pretty straightforward. The key is just taking your time and reading over the instructions as much as you need to. I took a couple hours (probably a lot longer than most people) just to be careful and measure correctly, but they went on great. The scariest part is the rivet gun because its a one shot deal, but if you just take it slow then you will be fine. The drilling part was actually pretty easy, just get a semi-powerful drill and bit to make it easier, use the tape on the bit as mentioned too. There is also about an inch or more buffer between the underside of the hood and the top of the hood, so you would have to be really stupid to go through your hood with the drill bit.

You should try doing it yourself, you will be thankful you did, as im sure you don't want to pay someone an hours labor thats probably half the price of what you paid for the damn struts. They are nice one they are on, and I'm pretty pleased that I did it myself.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I put the Redline ones on my car...

Wasn't to hard at all.

I put mine in backwards... that is... the bottom mounted near the windshield and the part holding up the hood farther from the windshield... I wanted the hood lift out of the way of working on the car. Worked wonderfully.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Need pics of that hood fully opened!