Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where would the lugnut lock key be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 AM
murfeezlaw

Question where would the lugnut lock key be?

hi all, i know there have been previous threads about the lugnut lock key. my question is...this is my first time changing a tire in my 2005 Mustang. I'm not the original owner. I went to change the tire this morning bc it's flat. I thought the lugnut key would be in the crowbar case but it wasn't. is there any other place it would be when it comes from the factory?

Thanks
Ted
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Check the glove box
Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 AM
murfeezlaw

Default found it

thanks...i just got the tire off. after i left this post i went and checked the glove box and it was in there. i searched the whole car except for the glove box before leaving this post.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM
DannyW

When I got my 2010, the dealer had not installed the locking lugs, they were just in a bag in the trunk. So i put them on myself. There was a note in the bag that said never to use the locking lug on the spare, and to keep an original lug for this purpose.

I presume it has to do with a difference in the factory rim vs. spare hole sizing. Maybe its no biggie, but thought i'd mention.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Mine is in the garage along with the locking lugs. Potentially MUCH more trouble than they're worth. I HAVE GOOD INSURANCE.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You learn to know where the locking lug key is before you buy a used car with locking lugs. It's like a boat's drain plug; once you forget to put it in you won't forget again.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
It's like a boat's drain plug; once you forget to put it in you won't forget again.
Ohh, does this bring back a childhood memory! I think my Dad did this, and you're right, it's not something he'll forget again LOL
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

locking lug nuts are not difficult to get off. Frankly it's not worth the aggravation they cause hunting down the key every time.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

My car has locking lugs and the key was in rough shape. It finally gave way today and I could not loosen any lugs. However, a quick trip to Autozone to buy a new set of lugs (just for the key) and I was good to go.

I was happy at the time, but it left me wondering...what's the point of having locking lugs when a would-be thief can simply go down to Autozone, spend $29.99 and have the key...
Old 06-23-2010, 03:33 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by allinon72
My car has locking lugs and the key was in rough shape. It finally gave way today and I could not loosen any lugs. However, a quick trip to Autozone to buy a new set of lugs (just for the key) and I was good to go.

I was happy at the time, but it left me wondering...what's the point of having locking lugs when a would-be thief can simply go down to Autozone, spend $29.99 and have the key...
Precisely. All a thief needs to do is carry around a set of 5 or 6 different keys and he can unlock 90% of locking lugnuts out there. There are a few different tools that will grab onto and simply rip off the other 10%. Inconveniencing the thief by making him match up keys to your lugnuts is simply going to result in you getting a broken window as well as your wheels being gone.

Quick Reply: where would the lugnut lock key be?