Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GT Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 PM
TalkofCake

Default 2011 GT Decisions

I'm new around here so I should probably start off by saying hello. Ive been reading through this forum for a bit now and decided to make an account as I'm seriously considering getting a mustang of my own.

Anyway, I've been giving thought to buying a 2011 GT since it was first announced. Now that I'm starting the process of car hunting, I'm beginning to second guess myself. My main concern is that the previous cars I've owned have all been automatics but I'm leaning towards getting a manual with this one because driving an automatic for so long has become boring. With so much horsepower I'm just thinking it might be too much to handle for a first time manual driver.

I realize that at the end of the day it all comes down to what I think, but I was hoping maybe you all have some opinions that might help me get my thoughts straight.

Look forward to reading anything you may have to say on this matter.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TalkofCake
I'm new around here so I should probably start off by saying hello. Ive been reading through this forum for a bit now and decided to make an account as I'm seriously considering getting a mustang of my own.

Anyway, I've been giving thought to buying a 2011 GT since it was first announced. Now that I'm starting the process of car hunting, I'm beginning to second guess myself. My main concern is that the previous cars I've owned have all been automatics but I'm leaning towards getting a manual with this one because driving an automatic for so long has become boring. With so much horsepower I'm just thinking it might be too much to handle for a first time manual driver.

I realize that at the end of the day it all comes down to what I think, but I was hoping maybe you all have some opinions that might help me get my thoughts straight.

Look forward to reading anything you may have to say on this matter.
Although I haven't driven a manual myself, and actually have an auto Mustang GT coming, I first have to ask, have you driven a manual at all before?

I would have to say, the reason I didn't get myself a manual is because I haven't had any experience behind the wheel of one, and by no means do i intend to learn on my brand new $35K baby hahah. I do think though that a mustang is almost "meant to be" driven with a manual transmission, just because you really feel more in touch with the car and it gives you a feeling of more control over the car.

Overall, I would say if you do know how to drive manual, go for a manual in a GT, however if you don't, then I'd suggest either first getting lessons or just going for the automatic. Honestly in either case, you're going to be getting one hell of a car.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:38 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

You'll be fine! The amount of power will still be dictated by the gas pedal. Just allow yourself to kill it a few times learning the clutch, so you know where the minimum amount of gas is. First thing I do when I teach someone to drive a manual is tell them to just let out the clutch slowly until it dies. Then they're not so afraid to kill the car, because they know at what point that will happen.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:01 AM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

Get it with a manual... just learn how to drive it. You aren't going to break it.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:04 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
You'll be fine! The amount of power will still be dictated by the gas pedal. Just allow yourself to kill it a few times learning the clutch, so you know where the minimum amount of gas is. First thing I do when I teach someone to drive a manual is tell them to just let out the clutch slowly until it dies. Then they're not so afraid to kill the car, because they know at what point that will happen.
Thats pretty good advice, i must say. Now adays the stick over auto advantage is non-existance. Its soo close, those days ended when the s197's were rolled out. So my point being, you won't get hurt either way.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:55 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Siggy has great advice...............do that for sure. You will be fine with the manual. My vipertruck has 500 HP with 4.88 gears and is a manual. Its very easy to drive...........sorta, as long as you barely touch the gas! Otherwise!@#$%^&*I(O)_ LOL

Buy the car dude...........live life!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM
TalkofCake

Originally Posted by pdonket
Although I haven't driven a manual myself, and actually have an auto Mustang GT coming, I first have to ask, have you driven a manual at all before?

I would have to say, the reason I didn't get myself a manual is because I haven't had any experience behind the wheel of one, and by no means do i intend to learn on my brand new $35K baby hahah. I do think though that a mustang is almost "meant to be" driven with a manual transmission, just because you really feel more in touch with the car and it gives you a feeling of more control over the car.

Overall, I would say if you do know how to drive manual, go for a manual in a GT, however if you don't, then I'd suggest either first getting lessons or just going for the automatic. Honestly in either case, you're going to be getting one hell of a car.

I've been putting in time practicing after work now for a few days, starting to get the hang of it a little but I still have a bit of a heavy foot.

I appreciate all the feedback. I should be going to look at a base model this Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to get behind the wheel and see just how it feels.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 AM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TalkofCake
I've been putting in time practicing after work now for a few days, starting to get the hang of it a little but I still have a bit of a heavy foot.

I appreciate all the feedback. I should be going to look at a base model this Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to get behind the wheel and see just how it feels.
I know it may be intimidating to basically learn the ins and outs of driving a manual car on a brand new 2011 GT but i do have to say that my 06 mustang was much more forgiving for a new driver than my previous acura rsx. I taught my girlfriend to drive in about 4 hours over two days, granted you gain more skill over time but the basics are not hard to learn. Focus on recognizing the point where the clutch engages as stated above by letting it out slowly. On most cars you can even get them rolling with the clutch alone. Once you are comfortable with this point add the gas pedal in to the mix and try to figure out how much/little you need to use it for a comfortable street start. Also, don't get carried away to quickly, coming to a stop and downshifting as you slow down may seem like fun until you mistake 2nd for 4th.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

it's a matter of personal choice

I have close to 2 million miles on manual transmission cars (I'm not a truck driver) and won't buy an auto tranny as long as I can use both legs.

If you live in downtown NYNY then maybe an auto tranny is best. I of course would question a 5.0 there vs a Smart Car.

If you intend to bracket race, then an auto is best for consistency. If you want to feel as if you are drivng the car vs just riding in it, then get a manny. You are rewarded with more WHP with the manny because there is less drivetrain loss but with the new 5.0, I can't imagine that it matters.

Hey, after you test drive it, let me know if the headrests are any better. I hate having to have my seat reclined just so I can sit up straight. I'd like to find the engineer who designed the headrests for the S197's

Last edited by torque_is_good; 07-01-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

So will this car be your daily driver? If so, that should come into your decision making process. While I thoroughly enjoy my 5-speed, I would have never went this route if it was my DD.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT Decisions