Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just want to tune my car.. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:20 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Default I just want to tune my car.. Help?

Alright, I never knew trying to tune my car could be such a hassle. I can't get in touch with anyone at Diablo for my questions, so maybe you guys can help. I'm so close to just giving up on this, it's ridiculous.

Okay, bought a tuner off this forum, got it, works fine, it's unlocked, but it's the VR model, not the U model. Should be fine as long as I get a custom tune. So, I order one from Eric Brooks. He needs the original backup, but I have no clue how to do that. The manual's instructions are a joke. If anyone can be of assistance on here or is willing to walk me through this process on the phone, I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm not computer illiterate, by any means, but this whole process boggles my mind.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:41 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Don't know what the original back up means, maybe he needs your original tune?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:43 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

I don't really know either, here's the message he sent me: "Eric, I received the payment, but I need you to send me the stock original backup tune file from your Predator."
Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yeah it sounds like he needs a copy of your stock tune, maybe to get the strategy code from it. i know there are really good diablo manuals on-line, i might even have them stored and could look for them here shortly. it would help us help you, if we knew the exact model number of your diablo.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Okay, here's what I know.

The tuner is updated with the latest revision, .
The sticker on the back, right above the bar code, says "U7140," but when I look in "tool info," the Part # is VR7140.

I'm trying my hardest to follow Diablo's online directions to a tee, but the DS downloader keeps telling me that "the device does not appear to have a backup or last tune."

Should I be trying to plug this mother into my car and get the stock tune off that? None of the instructions have told me to do that, but that's what it seems Eric needs.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok i just happen to have the U7140 manual archived.....

if you've never loaded a tune from the diablo to the car, it seems to me that you need to
go to "Troubleshooting" then "read extra tune" . this copies the cars current tune to the diablo .
after that then there is a procedure to copy the tune which you just saved, from the diablo to your PC.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

I just went out and tried that, Hammeron, and the "read extra tune" wasn't an option. There was an option to "restore original backup," but other than that, the troubleshooting menu doesn't have anything that seems helpful. I tried the restore original option, but it said, "Can't restore Original Backup. It was already restored or was never saved."

Any other suggestions? Did I buy a dud?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a dud?? Ask him if he wants your pcm code number on the side of the pcm??
Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

When I requested the tune, one of the blanks was for the PCM code, so I gave it to him. BKT3.

This is tuner #2 that I've gotten the shaft on, if that's the case.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:39 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok maybe 2cokeman can do a sanity check on this, but maybe if there is a canned
tune on the diablo, you can load it into the car then you would have your stock GT tune
loaded on the diablo. at that point you should be able to transfer a copy of that stock tune
from the diablo to your pc.

Quick Reply: I just want to tune my car.. Help?