Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird problem popped up last night...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Default Weird problem popped up last night...

Ran into an issue last night, wondering if this has happened to anyone else. (not sure what to search for since I don’t know what the issue is) I stop off at the store and then when I pull out of the parking lot my traction control lights start flashing. The car starts to wobble, feels like it has a flat and basically stalls as I pull into a gas station to check it out. Give the car a once-over and no flat/low tire or anything else that I can see.

I turn it back on and pull out of the station and the traction control lights aren’t flashing, but now the car feels completely different. The seat-of-the pants acceleration is minimal – I hit the gas and it feels like the car doesn’t want to respond. The car accelerates, but it doesn’t jump to life. It’s responding like I am driving in a gear that’s higher than what I should be in. (ie 3rd @ 10 mph) I got on the highway and put it into 4th at highway speeds and the reaction to giving it gas was like I was in 5th. The handling is also different – the steering feels stiffer and bumps seem to be jarring the car more, almost as if the shocks were gone. Even the driver seat feels different.

Any ideas? I tried taking it into 3 dealers near me this morning, but none of them would be able to look at it before Wednesday. (these things always happen right before a holiday weekend, huh?) There's no idiot lights on or anything. Coud it be a case of bad gas? (I know how a tune can affect how a car feels and I'm going by how it responds to pushing the pedal)

Last edited by chidrock; 07-02-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:35 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i figured the wrench light woudl be on. That is weird. Can't help you much, maybe you cna at least take it to the parts store and see if it has any error codes stored. Is it all stock? OT: you have any better pics of your CDC spoiler? I'm consideirng one and we are both GB so it woudl be perfect.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:35 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Is it April 1st? The car has no power, the steering and suspension has changed and what else, the seat feels different??

Perhaps you got into a Saturn instead of the Mustang at the store?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

The traction light flashes when you don't have traction, at which point it cuts the injectors and applies brakes.

As for it driving wierd now, I would either give it another shot after sitting all night, and if it still isn't driving right, disconnect the battery for about an hour and reconnect to reset any odd learning pattern.

Furthermore, the 2011 (and I think the 2010) has the ability to monitor knock sensors and adjust for fuel octane by pulling a little timing when it detects 85/87 octane fuel vs 91/93. You would notice the 20-25hp drop between the two fuels if that is the case.

One more thing to consider is that if traction control kicks in under WOT, it can cause a lean condition momentarily. Under the right circumstances, that could cause a detonation that could do damage. Unlikely without boost, but possible nonetheless
Old 07-02-2010, 09:55 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
The traction light flashes when you don't have traction, at which point it cuts the injectors and applies brakes.

As for it driving wierd now, I would either give it another shot after sitting all night, and if it still isn't driving right, disconnect the battery for about an hour and reconnect to reset any odd learning pattern.

Furthermore, the 2011 (and I think the 2010) has the ability to monitor knock sensors and adjust for fuel octane by pulling a little timing when it detects 85/87 octane fuel vs 91/93. You would notice the 20-25hp drop between the two fuels if that is the case.

One more thing to consider is that if traction control kicks in under WOT, it can cause a lean condition momentarily. Under the right circumstances, that could cause a detonation that could do damage. Unlikely without boost, but possible nonetheless

Ah - the battery trick is something that I was hoping for. Forgot all about that. I was wondering if it could be an airflow issue because of the way it was responding. The only mod I have besides the spoiler is the aggressive Ford Racing stinger mufflers.

The reason I brought up the bad gas was because I knew how the car adjusted itself to the octane levels in it. I usually drive with 93 octane, and this was the first time I had it below a 1/4 of a tank in a while.

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
Is it April 1st? The car has no power, the steering and suspension has changed and what else, the seat feels different??

Perhaps you got into a Saturn instead of the Mustang at the store?
You know - I was going to put something in about knowing that I got into the right car, but I cut it out to shorten the post lol

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i figured the wrench light woudl be on. That is weird. Can't help you much, maybe you cna at least take it to the parts store and see if it has any error codes stored. Is it all stock? OT: you have any better pics of your CDC spoiler? I'm consideirng one and we are both GB so it woudl be perfect.
Here is a set of my pics on Flickr that have more on the car - I highly recommend the CDC spoiler...It just fits our car perfectly!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4831079...7623510920395/
Old 07-02-2010, 11:11 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Yep i like the chin, they are makign a brake cooling kit for it too. And when those RTR kit parts finally become availble that flat front splitter will fit the cdc chin too, if you are inclined to that look.

If i were you, i woudl pull the battery cables and let it sit, see if that fixes you up. I woudlnt think you woudl notice that big of a difference with bad gas, my expirence with bad gas has been pinging (detonation) not a completely different feel to the car.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

maybe the maf sensor came loose?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch Red GT
that is worth checking, maybe one of the clamps for teh intake came loose and unmetered air is getting in. unlikely, but you never know.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch Red GT
Thought that too last night, but I popped the hood when I stopped and it looked good.

I'm just going to unhook the battery when i get home tonight, then let it sit for a while and see what happens.

The weirdest part of all is the traction control - I pulled out and it of the lot and it went right on flashing. Then it stopped and when I gave it more gas it started again - I know that is how it is supposed to work, but this happened over a half mile distance at normal running speeds. I have no idea how I could be making the tires spin like that. Plus like I said - it felt like the car had a flat and I pulled over into the gas station to look at it. Later I tried turning off the traction control, but the car was still sluggish.

It did seem a little better this morning, but it could be my imagination or memory of how bad I thought it was last night. Like I said, I will try dcing the battery and will see what happens. I know if I take it in the dealer will probably just give me a look since the service light isn't on anyway...I'll post up what happens afterwards.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:06 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Yep i like the chin, they are makign a brake cooling kit for it too. And when those RTR kit parts finally become availble that flat front splitter will fit the cdc chin too, if you are inclined to that look.
The one part I really want isn't made for it. I had a honeycomb blackout panel on my '06 and would love to have one on this, but they don't make one. I even contacted SHR about it but they don't think that it's in the works.

Quick Reply: Weird problem popped up last night...