Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas on removing nail polish from tint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default Ideas on removing nail polish from tint?

I was getting in my car this morning, and after I reached back to grab my seatbelt, I pulled it towards me and my fingernail grazed the driver window. Now it has this reddish streak alongside it. And it wasn't wet as I'd put the nail polish on earlier in the week. I tried using some water and a microfiber cloth to remove it, but no luck. Anyone know of any tricks or substances that'll take it off? I did a Google search but didn't find anything relevant. I'd obviously hate to retint the window as I just got my tint about a month ago. I probably wouldn't do that anyway as it's not too visible. It's just really annoying... especially when I try to be careful with that due to how far back I have to reach to grab that seat belt and with the narrow space I have to work with. Gotta love being kinda short with the seat most of the way up. Haha... thanks.

Last edited by VictoriaRR; 07-09-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Maybe try soap and water? Just don't use Windex or anything with ammonia. I think there are also tint cleaning products out there or you could always call a tint shop and ask their advice
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The polish has transfered via friction/heat.
The polish has 'fused' itself to the tint.
Nothing short of new tint will fix it...

Dont try nail polish remover as it will eat the tint...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 AM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

Default Nail polish on Tinted Window

Dear Vicky,

I agree.... Do not use any type of alcohol based solvent other than soap and water because if would destroy the tinted window...

I also agree that this is one of those times where new tint is about the only way to correct this problem...

Good Luck and be more careful in the future...

Dave
Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

well good thing is. new tint is cheap =)
Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Poor Victoria~!!

I am sorry to hear this girl, but actually I think it's a bit funny......

I think you should leave it. Gives your car some feminine accents.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I notice you have a 2006 as well, but mine is a Premium GT. I don't know if this is on a V-6 Pony, but check the lower outside of your seat and you should see a strap with a snap on it. This is a seat belt retainer and should help you from reaching back so far to get your belt. Hope this helps in the future.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

Not for the faint of heart.... But If you come to grip with having to get new tint on the window, first try getting it off with some finger nail polish remover. But water down the solution first maybe you will get lucky and get it off without screwing up the tint.

Just a thought...
Old 07-09-2010, 01:53 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I wasn't too hopeful about finding a likely or feasible solution. Just rubbing my nail against it now I can feel the tint has more of a texture along the scratch. I'll probably just hang onto it for now. It's not too noticeable and pretty small (maybe two and a half inches long). If it starts becoming a problem with me doing this again and again I'll just let it go long enough until it needs to be changed.

Originally Posted by Dreamtheory
well good thing is. new tint is cheap =)
True, true. But it's a pain to drop it off and wait around the area for a few hours until they're done. And then what if it happens again? Major suck. lol

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Poor Victoria~!!

I am sorry to hear this girl, but actually I think it's a bit funny......

I think you should leave it. Gives your car some feminine accents.
Haha, good point!

And yeah, it is actually a little bit funny.

Originally Posted by Blue GT Mustang
I notice you have a 2006 as well, but mine is a Premium GT. I don't know if this is on a V-6 Pony, but check the lower outside of your seat and you should see a strap with a snap on it. This is a seat belt retainer and should help you from reaching back so far to get your belt. Hope this helps in the future.
You know, I recall using that thing one time just to try it out and not liking it for some reason. I'll have to give it another try to see if my preferences have changed.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:35 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

maybe try a magic eraser.. works when you scuff a painted surface with another painted surface.. but like mentioned I don't know if I would try it unless you are prepared to replace the tint if it screws it up..

Quick Reply: Ideas on removing nail polish from tint?