Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first real mod - is this the logical thing to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

If I were in your shoes, I would do an axleback. Pypes Bomb axleback is one of the loudest, and cheapest axlebacks out there.

The way I look at it is, do you think you would be happier with a simple 10whp (with just a tuner), or with the nice growl your car makes during takeoff?

Don't get me wrong, tuner/intake are definitely the next mods anyone would suggest to you.

Gear install costs well over $500, at a cheap shop, so don't even bother thinking about gears, as another has suggested.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:52 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by soon2bu
The way I look at it is, do you think you would be happier with a simple 10whp (with just a tuner), or with the nice growl your car makes during takeoff?
well said
Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

ok then............who's got sum Magnapacks for $150? off to the for sale section........ geez - i'm screwed
Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

This is my take, for whatever it's worth. As you build your car up, at least have a sense of direction or you'll be buying crap two and three times because lack of funds forced you to move in a direction you really didn't want to move in. I ain't saying that you'll end up with axel backs you will likely dislike for $150, but good luck with that. Know what I mean?

No right or wrong answer here but I've wasted a ton of coin by my "limitations" then finally being able to afford what I really wanted.

GL and I'm out!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

yep, I know what ya mean. I've had a built car before when I was younger - built sbc, custom manny tranny, rear end blah blah - Just trying to make do with what I have and I will wait for that screamin' divorce sale kinda deal. I would like to do a couple of things to it - nuthin hardcore like a centrifical (even tho i'd love it). lower it, either GT500 spoiler or delete, intake/programmer, gears and axle-back. I would be happier than a pig in $hit. Not a lot compared to a lot of you guys here - geez, from the mods I've just mentioned, it seems commonplace and pretty standard -_-. It may take 10+ years to do lmao but it will be dun because I hate having a car that looks and sounds like everyone else's. thx for your input guys.....I know I can always come here for the hook-up!!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 PM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

If u buy the axlebacks and dont like it then ur kinda screwed, but the tuner is a base for many future mods..... but then again looking at ur list of future mods a tuner is only required for gears. I would do axlebacks and just try to research the sound b$ u buy. FWIW u can get a painted gt500 spoiler from the spoiler store on ebay for less than $150
Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

At least your driving a Mustang not a 4 door Cobalt or Camry. If I were still saddled with a mortgage and young kids I would be plenty happy to drive a stock GT. My first mod was a K&N CAI which didn't require a tune and I bought it new on EBAY from a speed shop in NJ for under $200.00
Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blue GT Mustang
If I were still saddled with a mortgage and young kids I would be plenty happy to drive a stock GT.
That's generally the attitude of my wife whenever I bring up anything to do with the stang and changing it up somehow.....'being ungrateful'. I've always been a car nut and have always tried to supe them up like many of you have. Now, if our family didn't have another 4dr in the mix, then the stang wouldn't have been a slight idea - an STI wouldn't have been a bad choice in that situation eh? lol. thx again guys, I'm off to hunt axlebacks and yea, I know all about the spoilerstore........... the best bang 4 the buck out there.....
Old 07-15-2010, 12:55 AM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

I'd say go for some exterior appearance item since it seems like you don't want to look stock. Maybe some stripes of some sort. Or some used axle backs with some nice tips -- then you'll get sound and appearance.

You've got a great looking car cranking out 300 hp. So it's not like you need a tune. And you'll be the only one who knows you got the tune.

Having three kids, a mortgage, and being the sole provider, I do understand your plight. You've always got birthday and Christmas stuff, and maybe tell anyone that asks that you'd like American Muscle gift certificates!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I think the tuner is a good 1st mod for you, despite the canned tunes. It can be your stepping stone for other mods including when you find a used CAI at a steal. All you'd need is a few bucks for the custom tune. My only issue is the limited # of tuners that write/support the Diablo. I've heard that Brookspeed supports it but I couldn't name another.

At the very least, you'd gain SOME performance with only the canned tunes; I'd guess in the 10-15 RWHP range.

Quick Reply: my first real mod - is this the logical thing to do?