MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   my first real mod - is this the logical thing to do? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/609310-my-first-real-mod-is-this-the-logical-thing-to-do.html)

wusthof 07-14-2010 04:58 PM

my first real mod - is this the logical thing to do?

As some people know and are going thru - modding the stang with children and a mortgage is not a good combo. I am completely stock including the intake. I have the opportunity to buy a used Diablosport for $150. After this $150, it will be a very long time b4 I have money again to spend on the ride (family will NEVER give money for the stang for xmas etc.). I was thinking about a used axle-back, an intake is useless w/o a programmer, maybe a GT500 spoiler, and lowering the ride is the way I would go, but is too much dough even w/used parts. Is the programmer the best buy in my situation........ completely stock and won't have "car" money for another year. any quick replies would be appreciated - gotta jump on this. TIA

UltraKla$$ic 07-14-2010 05:04 PM

Tuner with stock car = keep saving IMO............

I would lower it if I only had money for a tuner but nothing else. At least make it LOOK fast(er).....LOL!

Alec 07-14-2010 05:10 PM

If you already have the intake then I'd say go with the tune. Completely wakes up the car, if you get a good tune that is.

cjs06 07-14-2010 05:22 PM

You might want to think about saving for a gear ratio swap, possibly to a 3.73ratio. That would probably give you the most noticible gain in performance by increasing your acceleration. This will be my first mod too and others would agree.

Alec 07-14-2010 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by cjs06 (Post 7104763)
You might want to think about saving for a gear ratio swap, possibly to a 3.73ratio. That would probably give you the most noticible gain in performance by increasing your acceleration. This will be my first mod too and others would agree.

Wouldn't you need the tuner for that anyway, to adjust the speedometer? It's a pricey mod

UltraKla$$ic 07-14-2010 05:26 PM

He's worried about spending $150 bucks wisely, I doubt he'd be able to get a gear swap for that.:icon_gunhead:

Shadow7874 07-14-2010 05:29 PM

id pass on the tuner. Youll still need to buy tunes anyways. Find some used boom tubes or some other axle backs and atleast sound faster :)

wusthof 07-14-2010 05:44 PM

yes to use my money wisely!! I just figured the tuner "really wakes the car up" thing would still work even with the canned tunes. Throttle response blah blah. Would love 4.10s - not on a buck fifty. So, should I just do an axle back and call it a day? Used axlebacks are weird.......sometimes there's tons of em on eBay and then there aren't and lets face it - $150 isn't gunna get me much (dun with super loud boomtubes and such) ......c'mon guys.....keep the opinions coming!!!!

ABQstang89 07-14-2010 05:46 PM

A tuner is always a great place to start. Most mods down the road will require a tuner. However, for your situation I would suggest a muffler of some sort. You can go to a muffler shop and they should be able to fab up a muffler delete, so just tips. It will make it sound mean!

Torch Red GT 07-14-2010 05:48 PM

I think a pair of used axlebacks are your best bet