Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablosport 7140 rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:59 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Default Diablosport 7140 rant

So I picked up a Diablosport for my mustang so I could do some datalogging. Right after I get it, Kenne Bell sends me an SCT X3 to datalog with. So I figure I will keep the Diablosport until the problem I was having was worked out, just in case. At one point, a mechanic recommends I try to adjust the MAF table with the Diablosport. I do that and the results basically tell me that the problem is not in the MAF table. I undo the results by reloading the tune from KB with the SCT.

About 8 months pass, and I find the problem with the car. I figure I can unlock the Diablosport from my car and sell it to recoup at least what I paid for it. I go to do that and it tells me the tune doesn't match and won't let me unlock it.

So I call tech support and the guy tells me that since I used a different tuner to upload a tune, the Diablosport is worthless unless I pay them $130 to unlock it. The VIN in the vehicle matches the VIN in the device, but it doesn't matter because if the tune is modified by anyone, including the dealer, you have to pay them $130 to unlock it. I am speechless.

Then the guy goes on to tell me that since SCT just allows you to overwrite the existing tune without confirming that it was the last tune that the SCT device wrote, it is an inferior piece of equipment. Funny thing is, not only do all the good tuners use SCT, but regardless of whether me or the dealer changes the tune with a different device, the SCT can still upload a tune to the PCM without having to pay $130 to unlock it.

Then this same "tech support" guy from Diablosport goes on to tell me that the SCT can't datalog, even though I have datalogged a TON with it, and that it is a totally different type of device than the Diablosport. When I try to tell him that SCT wouldn't screw me over like they are, he tells me he doesn't have time to listen to it, and ends the conversation.

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. I will never do business with these scam artists again.

I could probably sell my locked Diablosport for $30 on ebay, but I am more inclined to take a hammer to it just to make sure some poor sap doesn't have to pay Diablosport their $130 ransom, just to have to pay it again if the dealer decides to change the PCM during maintenance and they forget to unlock the diablosport BEFORE bringing it in. Their forums are filled with victims like this.

Oh, and the tech actually told me that the reason they do it is so I don't go out and buy a whole new PCM and flash it with the Diablosport tuner just so I can install the other PCM in someone elses vehicle, effectively getting 2 vehicles tuned for the price of one. OF COURSE, THE COST OF A NEW PCM WOULD BE MORE THAN THE $130 TO UNLOCK THE DIABLOSPORT TO WORK ON THE SECOND VEHICLE. With logic like this, it is a wonder they are even capable of making a tool that can interface with anything more complicated than a pocket calculator.

If anyone is considering one of their products for your S197 Mustang, or any car for that matter, I strongly advise against it. I have had 3 SCT devices and have never had an issue unlocking any of them, regardless of what tune is in there.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Planned on SCT from the get go!

Shoot it with a gun if you have a post vids/pics! My friend was so fed up with his iPhone he got more pleasure out of shooting it with a 9mm then selling it.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Planned on SCT from the get go!

Shoot it with a gun if you have a post vids/pics! My friend was so fed up with his iPhone he got more pleasure out of shooting it with a 9mm then selling it.
I was thinking of either shooting it with my .40 or hitting it with a sledge.. on video of course. I think I would get more satisfaction out of that than the few dollars I can get for it on Ebay.. plus then I could sleep better at night knowing that I didn't contribute anything to that sham of a company.

Imagine if Ford operated like Diablosport: "Sorry, sir, you put non-motorcraft oil in at your last oil change, and since the computer doesn't see the original oil, you have to pay us $500 if you want to use your car again."

I told the tech that I think they are trying to be Microsoft.. sell an operating system for $250, and if the customer changes any major component, they have to re-license the operating system before they can use it, even though it is the same computer.

Difference is, at least Microsoft will let you re-license for free if you tell them it is the original computer. I guess since only my VIN matches and not the file signature of the last tune that was overwritten, I must be a liar and trying to scam Diablosport out of some money. In their eyes, we are all criminals until we can prove otherwise, and even then, we must still be criminals.

If the dealership flashes your computer during regular maintenance, you only have to mail them proof that the dealer did it before you can use their product again.. As long as you can prove to them you are not a criminal, they let you use the product they sold you again. In my case, it was Kenne Bell that sent me a tune, not the dealer putting it in, so I must be a criminal trying to scam them out of their $130.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
So I picked up a Diablosport for my mustang so I could do some datalogging. Right after I get it, Kenne Bell sends me an SCT X3 to datalog with. So I figure I will keep the Diablosport until the problem I was having was worked out, just in case. At one point, a mechanic recommends I try to adjust the MAF table with the Diablosport. I do that and the results basically tell me that the problem is not in the MAF table. I undo the results by reloading the tune from KB with the SCT.

About 8 months pass, and I find the problem with the car. I figure I can unlock the Diablosport from my car and sell it to recoup at least what I paid for it. I go to do that and it tells me the tune doesn't match and won't let me unlock it.

So I call tech support and the guy tells me that since I used a different tuner to upload a tune, the Diablosport is worthless unless I pay them $130 to unlock it. The VIN in the vehicle matches the VIN in the device, but it doesn't matter because if the tune is modified by anyone, including the dealer, you have to pay them $130 to unlock it. I am speechless.

Then the guy goes on to tell me that since SCT just allows you to overwrite the existing tune without confirming that it was the last tune that the SCT device wrote, it is an inferior piece of equipment. Funny thing is, not only do all the good tuners use SCT, but regardless of whether me or the dealer changes the tune with a different device, the SCT can still upload a tune to the PCM without having to pay $130 to unlock it.

Then this same "tech support" guy from Diablosport goes on to tell me that the SCT can't datalog, even though I have datalogged a TON with it, and that it is a totally different type of device than the Diablosport. When I try to tell him that SCT wouldn't screw me over like they are, he tells me he doesn't have time to listen to it, and ends the conversation.

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. I will never do business with these scam artists again.

I could probably sell my locked Diablosport for $30 on ebay, but I am more inclined to take a hammer to it just to make sure some poor sap doesn't have to pay Diablosport their $130 ransom, just to have to pay it again if the dealer decides to change the PCM during maintenance and they forget to unlock the diablosport BEFORE bringing it in. Their forums are filled with victims like this.

Oh, and the tech actually told me that the reason they do it is so I don't go out and buy a whole new PCM and flash it with the Diablosport tuner just so I can install the other PCM in someone elses vehicle, effectively getting 2 vehicles tuned for the price of one. OF COURSE, THE COST OF A NEW PCM WOULD BE MORE THAN THE $130 TO UNLOCK THE DIABLOSPORT TO WORK ON THE SECOND VEHICLE. With logic like this, it is a wonder they are even capable of making a tool that can interface with anything more complicated than a pocket calculator.

If anyone is considering one of their products for your S197 Mustang, or any car for that matter, I strongly advise against it. I have had 3 SCT devices and have never had an issue unlocking any of them, regardless of what tune is in there.
So a few things. . .

All the great tuners do not use SCT.

In order to datalog with an SCT (some, not all) it has to come with a premade file in it so a datalog can be stored in it. Most tuners will give you this.

I would keep the diablo and sell it to a custom tuner. The guy who tunes my car can unlock the tuners and load his own tunes on it. You would probably get more than $30 for it and maybe even trade for some future tuning.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:28 AM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

I was trying to decide between diablo and sct...this definitely helped. Sorry that they treated you so badly. At least u still have the sct though and it obviously suits your needs better :-/
Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
So a few things. . .

All the great tuners do not use SCT.

In order to datalog with an SCT (some, not all) it has to come with a premade file in it so a datalog can be stored in it. Most tuners will give you this.

I would keep the diablo and sell it to a custom tuner. The guy who tunes my car can unlock the tuners and load his own tunes on it. You would probably get more than $30 for it and maybe even trade for some future tuning.
All I know is that all my SCT tuners have had the ability to datalog without a laptop, but I never used that function. Instead, I grabbed a generic USB cable of which I always have dozens lying around, downloaded the wonderful SCT LiveLink software, and in a matter of seconds can be datalogging just about anything, saving it to a simple .CSV file, and then reviewing it afterward, using Excel to chop it up into manageable examples that the mechanic or tuner is looking for, then email it to them. Can't be more simple.

The Diablosport first needs a way to connect to a computer made in the last 7 years.. Since Serial technology is straight out of the 70's, most computers do not have that, so you have to buy a serial to USB adapter. That costs anywhere from $20 to $50. Then you have to understand that when installing the driver for the serial connector, your computer assigns a COM port. You have to know how to find that COM port, and choose it when setting up the Diablosport software. If you know computers, this is pretty straightforward, but still a pain in the butt, expecially if you bought a cheaper adapter that doesn't want to work with the particular OS you are using. If you want to use the Diablosport device to datalog, exporting it to your computer will also require you find an AC adapter, as serial interfaces do not carry power like a USB does. So that is probably another piece of equipment you will need. Since I have been working in computers and electronics for 20 years, I have a box of old AC adapters that I keep just in case, and all it took for me in this case was to go to Radio Shack, find the right power adapter plug, and spend the $3 for it, then wire it to an appropriate adapter. Others might find themselves spending up to an additional $30 for a universal AC adapter.

There are 3 SCT tuners that I know of in Montana, and the only guys I know who use Diablosport for tuning are limited to the tuning functions in the unit, not authorized dealers with access to the software to really write tunes. Since these units go used for $150-170, my market is limited to those who are willing to pay $20-50 and then get it unlocked, or an authorized Diablosport tuner, of which there are none for 400 miles in any direction. I think for $20 I would get more enjoyment with a can of gasoline, a .300 bullet, a half pound of tannerite, and a video camera.

I keep thinking about the scam these guys are running. I don't know how many unlocks you get with a DiabloSport, but with SCT it's 6 when brand new. If the DiabloSport has 6 unlocks, then you can only get your car serviced 6 times (where a PCM flash is required) before you have to buy a new DiabloSport or send it back to them to have it reset. That is just one of the many problems with having to unlock the unit before servicing, which is a requirement for the Predator unless you want to have your unit rendered useless until you can prove to Diablosport that you took it to a dealer and they serviced the PCM.

These days, at least the company will take your $130 and reset the unit if you didn't buy it brand new.. in the past they required proof of original purchase before allowing you to pay them to unlock a device. Used owners were screwed if the unit got locked up. Seems now they will take money from anyone, including thieves, to unlock the unit. Now it's just the legit customers who get screwed.

edit: PS, if you are a diablosport fan, I am not trying to offend you, I understand that you disagree with me. It is no different than being a Kenne Bell owner and having a Whipple owner tell you why KB sucks. As bad as Kenne Bell service is sometimes, when I was having issues, they never told me "Well, you put spark plugs in that we don't recommend, so we will no longer allow you to use your supercharger unless you pay us a ransom to make it work again." Never in any of these conversations did anyone at Diablosport ever say "Look, we have these safeguards in place to prevent people from using our product in multiple vehicles, but since you are obviously a victim of a downside to our security, we can get you unlocked for no charge." Instead, they simply said "Yeah, you used a tune from a different tuner without unlocking ours first, so you can no longer use the diablosport tuner unless you pay us $130 to unlock it." Not only that, they said it in a manner that suggested that I had willingly broken some cardinal rule and should have known better. There was never any compromise, nor any willingness on their part to even admit that my situation was anything short of me trying to pull some kind of scam to get them to unlock the tuner. They treated me no different than they would some thief who stole this unit and was trying to get it unlocked so they could sell it. They don't deserve, nor will they ever get, a single penny of my business.

Last edited by dkersten; 07-20-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:08 AM
jeffdavis411
2nd Gear Member

I had the same issues with the diablosport customer support..... and fixing my tuner.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffdavis411
I had the same issues with the diablosport customer support..... and fixing my tuner.
I look at it this way: They have a security measure of which I was unaware. So I didn't unlock the unit before I installed a new tune with a different tuner module. So I can admit I made a mistake, and all I ask is that they help me to fix it. Instead, I am all but accused of trying to cheat them, and told that I have to pay $130 to fix it.. Now if the hardware had failed or some kind of damage was caused, that is one thing. But in this case, all they have to do is have me push a button, read a code, and give me a passcode to unlock, and it is done. It doesn't cost them anything, and they would have a satisfied customer.

Instead, they treat me like a criminal who is trying to cheat them, and won't do a thing. Now I am ranting on the internet to all who will listen, in the hopes of saving a fellow Mustang owner of having to deal with such a shady company. In the process, they will lose a few sales, satisfying my personal sense of justice.

In the end, everyone loses. Genius on their part, right?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

wow and i was considering going with diablo this morning while browsing for tuners...

SCT it is after reading this...
Old 07-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

diablo=devil

I guess that describes their customer service.

Quick Reply: Diablosport 7140 rant