Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown truck tire cracks GT/CS front bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
Man, this area really sucks. I was driving in northern Virginia the other day, had to go down the same road twice that day. First time down it, someone tosses a styrofoam cooler out their window, and I slam right into it. Didn't do any damage, but man, I was so heated.

Second time down the road, same thing as you. Truck infront of me sheds a tire tread, and I slam right into it. GRRR. Again, no damage..lucky me x2. Sucks to hear man.
yeah, I live in northern VA and have seen it quite a bit there. I work during the week in NC though and there are shredded truck tires EVERYWHERE? It's like an obstacle course.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 PM
CorruptedDemon60
2nd Gear Member

Im a trucker and the reason you are seeing alot more tires on the highway is the crazy heat this year. I have blown 4 tires just this summer so far.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

im sorry bro, but thats not worth trying to repair.

in this economy i wouldnt be suprised if shippers are trying anything to save a buck. but it could be the weather as stated above, but it actually hasnt been that hot of a year so far.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:57 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Wow, heck of a rip.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
but it could be the weather as stated above, but it actually hasnt been that hot of a year so far.
It's been a LOT hotter out on the East Coast this summer compared to last year. My A/C unit that has been running near-continuously since the beginning of June (we just got the bill) confirms this.

It is the weather. Those of us who have more than one season never see as many highway alligators in December/January/February as in June/July/August. Heat is the enemy. Just ask Ford about where the infamous Explorers tended to have more trouble. Texas or Michigan?

Understand that truck tires that carry 4000+ lbs each and are run 600 miles a day, every day, with tread life that can exceed 100,000 miles, will experience occasional tread separation failures.

Sounds like a few people could benefit by giving themselves a little autocross experience. I know from direct first-hand experience that these cars are capable of performing some perfectly controllable but pretty violent evasive maneuvers even in the completely as-delivered stock condition.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-21-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Sounds like a few people could benefit by giving themselves a little autocross experience. I know from direct first-hand experience that these cars are capable of performing some perfectly controllable but pretty violent evasive maneuvers even in the completely as-delivered stock condition.

Norm
Pretty voilent evasive maneuvers???? I understand if this was on a strip of highway where I was alone, but we are talking driving 60+mph with tons of other cars on the road with you. I would rather take the hit on the bumper by the tire than violently hitting someone else trying to avoid it, or someone rear-ending me cause im stopping to swerve, causing more damage.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:19 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Norm

This is possibly the worst advice I've read on this forum thus far.

It is always, and I mean always better to damage your own car than someone else's. If you hit someone else, you have the possibility of a personal law suit being filed against you for damages, including but not limited to mental and/or physical injury. A cracked front bumper is a couple of hundred dollars. A bump into the person next to you could mean ruining your financial life for many, many years.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I understand that traffic conditions will dictate what options are available.

A stock GT is capable of slaloming violently enough at 65 mph to dislodge loose items (or unrestrained passengers, for that matter) without the driver having to go anywhere near the brake pedal. Maybe not even lift off the throttle much (I can't remember exactly the sequence of control inputs from two years ago - sorry).

The driver does have to have a little "seat time" in such maneuvers.

BTW, sorry about your damage.

BTW #2, it's a really good idea to avoid driving right beside another vehicle for this very reason - whether some debris/big pothole/other obstacle might be in your lane or the other guy's may not matter much.

Norm
Old 07-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
This is possibly the worst advice I've read on this forum thus far.

It is always, and I mean always better to damage your own car than someone else's.
If I'm guilty of anything, it's assuming that people have enough "situational awareness". If you aren't normally aware of where nearby traffic is, maybe this option really isn't for you. If you aren't normally aware of where nearby traffic is, maybe you should be.

I'll stand on the opinion that anybody who is unwilling to consider the use all of the control tools at his disposal as conditions permit has their own set of blinders on.

And that without a little "seat time", I suspect that many people would have difficulty pulling off a safe high speed slalom, hence my suggestion to take in a little autocrossing. The skills really are worth learning.

Norm
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Situational awareness is what is needed. Know what's around you. If swerving is an option, I can second that you can be quite violent with the wheel. We teach obstacle avoidance at our school with all kinds of cars and I have yet to see a spin-out. Most students can't believe what's possible till they do it. Here is where ABS is your friend.

Having said that, s--t happens and you may have to stay in your lane and take the hit. Giving yourself more room between cars also can allow more time. If you are on the guys bumper and he suddenly changes lanes to avoid an object, you're screwed. You'll hit it.

In any case, sorry to the OP. Maybe you just have to replace the lower facia. Shouldn't be too costly in that case.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Blown truck tire cracks GT/CS front bumper!