Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXTREMELY soft brake pedal after Cam/CMCV Delete Plates install

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Default EXTREMELY soft brake pedal after Cam/CMCV Delete Plates install

Well, I thought everything was too perfect after my install. Car's running great, but my brake pedal goes all the way to the floor now. It will stop the car, but with just slight pressure it goes to the floor. And this sounds weird I know, but it is much worse in Reverse - it will go to the floor and barely stop the car. My pads are fine, and I had no brake problems before the install. I'm thinking it must be something to do with the CMCV Delete Plate install instead of the Cams, since I had the Intake Manifold off and all of the vacuum hoses. I have checked everything, and even pulled all the hoses off and put them back on, just to make sure. I hear no noises under the hood like a vacuum leak either. Any suggestions ?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:38 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

I think the cams kill vacuum and you need a Vacuum Assist Booster... or something like that...

Last edited by red96v6; 07-23-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Wouldn't a lack of vacuum just make the pedal really stiff and make you have to push harder to stop? I could be wrong so please correct me if I am.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

The brake booster line does get disconnected to install CMDP's, or at least I had to unhook it when I installed mine. Follow the big vacuum line from the brake booster back to the intake manifold. It will go into a big "T". Make sure this T is fully connected. Also give a LIGHT tug on the line that goes to the back of the intake manifold from this T. If you forget to reconnect this line during the install, you will never see that it is disconnected, because the connection is in between the back of the intake manifold and the firewall. Let us know if both of those connections are good.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

^^^^ Yep, that is the first one I checked. Everything is on tight, unless I somehow got a hole in it. I guess I could try replacing the hose. Any other thoughts ?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:54 PM
graystanggt
1st Gear Member

I had a set of cams installed in my car a little over a week ago and my break pedal seems to do the same sort of thing. It dont go all the way to the floor but you definately have to push down on it harder to stop the car. I thought maybe this was normal. Seems cams sometimes create less vacuum.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:55 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hagwood it's too bad you don't have a way to measure vacuum. data from my gauge shows that with stock cams, vacuum is about -23. with hot rods it goes down to -15. i'm pretty sure your problem is not engine related, i'm leaning towards a hose at this point.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:01 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Yeah, it sounds like you have air in your brake lines, or a house is worn and expanding as you press down. Either that or you have a caliper leaking somewhere. No vacuum would make the pedal harder to press, not easier.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Not sure if this helps, but I have a similar situation regard cams and brakes. When coasting in neutral, I apply the brakes, and my brake pedal gets hard and the brakes do squat to stop the car. This is because the engine is not as efficient as it once was with the stock cams and therefore is producing less vacuum which the brakes need while at low rpms. My tuner is going to change my tune so that when I am coasting in neutral my revs stay at a higher idle until I come to a stop, then the revs will go down to a lower idle. This keeps the engine producing the necessary vacuum required for the brakes.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:21 PM
MorePowerMike

When the cams and delete plates are properly tuned for it should just work. Most of the time with cams and not being tuned correctly, the integrator is maxed out. So it has no play to add and remove air. If you want to do a datalog of the car, email me (not pm) and I'll tell you what to log and let you know if it's fixable in a tune.

Quick Reply: EXTREMELY soft brake pedal after Cam/CMCV Delete Plates install