Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsafe tunes - why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If the whipple tune is so safe then I wonder what it is they know that noone else seems to understand who writes the stock tunes for other aftermarket kits.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Well another common saying on the internet is that "boost doesn't kill motors." If you boost 10 psi instead of 5 psi, it is more stress on your motor regardless of the tune. Mechanical components do not have linear reliabilities. If you look in mechanical strength and material books, you will see that when you double the force on an object, the amount of cycles it lasts until failure decreases by much more than a factor of 2. The piston size is constant, and with cylinder pressure increasing drastically with the increase in boost, that is more force on your connecting rods, and more force equals much shorter engine lifespan regardless of whether the tune is safe.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

No doubt that is true. However most people will tell you 10psi = safe on the stock motor. In fact most places that sell blower kits will tell you the same thing.

I still would like to hear what it is Whipple does that makes their stuff so much safer than everyone else's. Why. Why does their base tune not blow up motors. Ford and Whipple seem to have this figured out pretty good. What are they doing that is so special.

Driving style isn't it. People drive Whipple cars hard with the included tunes and don't esplode.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Rip are you saying that saleen, vortech, edelbrock, Paxton etc dont make safe tunes like whipple?

i mean i really havent seen threads about stock tunes for any of these kits blowing the motor either.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the whipple tune has a safe a/f ratio, and pushing high hp is not their main goal.
the base tune doesnt get impressive numbers, but its safe.
i believe Hammeron still runs the whipple tune for 4 years now.
like most i wanted more than the base tune and have a street tune, performance, and race tune for 100 octane.
the 2 lower tunes get me 413 rwhp and 449 rwhp, i have never tested the race tune yet.
both the street and performance tunes are around 11.5-11.7 a/f, but the whipple base tune has a safer a/f.
i dont push my Mustang hard that often, and its been running good for over 2 years on the stock block @ 7 psi with a Gen 1 whipple.
i am prepared to replace the block if and when it fails, but i want to prolong that for as long as possible.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:33 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

My motor went at "only" 8 psi a few months ago... after that, I was always kinda leary about "safe" tunes, even though the tune I have is claimed to be extremely safe as well.

I chat on another site that has people in the 500+whp on the stock short block via Roush TVS R2300s.. crazy stuff.

Personally, my limit was 450whp down to 420 lulz
Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
Rip are you saying that saleen, vortech, edelbrock, Paxton etc dont make safe tunes like whipple?
Maybe they do? I don't know for sure but I've read about a lot of blown motors with vortechs, saleens, paxtons, etc.. Most people when they buy those kits get a vendor supplied e-mail tune that may not be the same thing as the base tune you get from the manufacturer. With Whipples it seems like more people for whatever reason drive around on the Whipple tune .
i mean i really havent seen threads about stock tunes for any of these kits blowing the motor either.
But that's the thing. I've read about people blowing engines on less than 10psi while they drove around on a "base tune" that was meant to get them to the dyno. That sort of tune should be just like the Whipple tune - rich and with margins built in for safety. I never hear about blown motors with the Whipple tune. Not so with these other "safe" tunes people run with other blowers.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
i believe Hammeron still runs the whipple tune for 4 years now.

i've run it off and on.....on, when my hot rods are out, off when
they are back in. moose is one of the few who have always run
the whipple tune.

Riptide, it's all in the tune.....pick your tuner carefully.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I have one local tuner. That's it. One. The closest cities to me are Denver and Salt Lake. Both are 600 mile, 8 hour drives.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

For one thing, the A/F as stated above, on the Whipple is conservatively rich. The other thing is that the rev limiter is still in place on the whipple tune. Someone want to tell me what RPM they were at when their rods bent? MY bet is that it was usually north of 6300 if there wasn't an AF issue due to a bad tune or sensor.

Quick Reply: Unsafe tunes - why?