Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think your STANDARD sucks!!!!! Lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
What a firestarter, pot-stirrer thread......geez.

Why would you make a thread about....wait, whaah?
This thread stirs the pot? Sure, it might. But I hope it can be fun too,

I admit, I am an internet smart-***, but I don't say things to intentionally **** people off, I do it to try to be funny. I would hope nobody thinks what I post as offensive.
I guess it's because I am totally fail at being funny in real life, I hope I am not so fail on the net.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
If you have to have an automatic, such as a leg injury, etc, that is totally understandable. But unfortunately, we lazy Americans are totally missing out on an important p[art of driving, and that is driving with a stick and clutch.

But I guess since I am one of those younger fellows and suffer no such injuries or problems, I say stick all day! :i con_steer:
Well, I don't really consider myself "old" at 36, but as I said 20 years of manual transmissions with many years of advanced skiing sprinkled on top, and my knees aren't what they used to be is all.

I don't miss driving a manual at all honestly. I think I just did it for so long and became so proficient at it, that it was no longer anything special to me. It was second nature was all. I can still drive stick as well as anyone on this entire forum I guarantee you that, and on the rare occasion I do drive it, its not a problem. But as a daily occurrence I gave up on it...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
This thread stirs the pot? Sure, it might. But I hope it can be fun too,

I admit, I am an internet smart-***, but I don't say things to intentionally **** people off, I do it to try to be funny. I would hope nobody thinks what I post as offensive.
I guess it's because I am totally fail at being funny in real life, I hope I am not so fail on the net.
Psst, Jim......the OP of this thread is trouble.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
with many years of advanced skiing sprinkled on top, and my knees aren't what they used to be is all.
Then it's the skiing that is primarily responsible. While I don't know your knees' surgical history, I doubt that your menisci look quite like they're supposed to any more (there may be a little tear or a tiny flap of the stuff that gets peeled up and bent over double between the bone ends - this will get your attention). The mechanics of your actual motion may be aggravating this, where a slightly different motion might not.

You'd think that by (almost) age 63 I'd be driving automatics once I let on that both of my knees have been repaired. Twice each, actually (all directly or indirectly from bicycle BMX racing, and I chased national age group standing to #4 in 1986). I don't have nearly full range of motion in the left one any more (maybe 105° on a good day), and there isn't as much meniscus in it as there used to be, but it has never hurt to drive MT cars (see sig). If you haven't had your knees fixed - minor meniscus problems can usually be dealt with arthroscopically - you might want to consider it. And not just so you can drive stick without discomfort.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-28-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I'm pretty much fine in general so rushing out for any surgical procedure hasn't yet ranked high on my list. The last time I had a manual car for a daily driver (Mazdaspeed 3), I sold it after 4 months. Sitting in traffic and working that clutch for a couple hours a day eventually caused my knee to start aching daily. I don't commute anymore and work from home, so in reality I *could* have bought a manual and it likely wouldn't have bothered me for as little as I drive it. After having 2 auto S197s and 1 manual, strangely the manual is the only one I didn't like (and it put down over 400 rwhp). Theres just no sense in putting wear and tear on the knee, when I'm completely over driving manuals in the first place. I won't even consider one when I look at cars now.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
What a firestarter, pot-stirrer thread......geez.

Why would you make a thread about....wait, whaah?
Don't thread on us, girl. LOL.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Well, I don't really consider myself "old" at 36, but as I said 20 years of manual transmissions with many years of advanced skiing sprinkled on top, and my knees aren't what they used to be is all.
Admitting my age, I am actually much closer to you in age than you think

Like Norm says, it has to be your skis that did your knees in. Since my legs do not bother me, driving a clutch is also second nature to me, but to an extent, more enjoyable than an automatic. I like the direct control that I have over gear shifting, where unfortunately, I never had with automatics.

But if I too had any discomfort from stepping on a clutch (leg injuries, or whatever), I too would go auto. The pain or even discomfort would make driving a stick a displeasure.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wishIcould
Automatcis are for people that fall under one of these catagories.

1. car didn't come with manual as an option.
2. Has a leg injury and shifting is not easy or causes pain.
3. Lazy.
4. Doesn't care about driving.

This thread makes it sound like you are trying to convince yourself automatics are ok.
1. it's spelled AUTOMATIC.
2. people like you are the reason this thread has come to being.
3. you think you're manual tranny makes your **** bigger.
4. ^ you're wrong.
5. Automatic trannys are great and allow for a different driving experience vs. a manual tranny.
6. both have their place, even in your narrow minded world.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

LOL, Fortunately, that punk hasn't posted in awhile now.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:19 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

i just decided to read through this thread and he kinda made me mad, haha...i could care less b/c i drive an auto as my DD but if it weren't a DD it'd be manual...i just think it's more fun to drive

Quick Reply: I think your STANDARD sucks!!!!! Lol