Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think your STANDARD sucks!!!!! Lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:54 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd

as for the DD v8 thing...i can only afford one vehicle as well and i LOVE my GT as i love car cruises and driving as much as the next mustang enthusiast. i did mean that driving a manual is more fun, in my opinion but i would rather have an automatic as my DD, manual for a toy(if only i had the money)...
As for the DD thing, I do agree, automatics are better, especially if your area is very prone to having lots of stop lights and stop signs, traffic jams, etc. (rush hour and such). I actually learned to drive in a manual, when I was 15 and my parents were preparing me to take the driver's test when I turned 16.

About 10 years ago, I came by automatic cars and drove them ever since, and I havent touched a manual during that whole time. I began to miss manuals and the control of the gears they gave me, so when I bought my 'Stang this past summer, I specifically asked for a manual, and I do not regret it. Just as you said, it is such a joy to drive
Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 AM
wishIcould
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=wilkinda;7267008]
Originally Posted by wishIcould

ETTTT, wrong...Automatic. Our American school system has FAILED our youth again

It appears i need a sarcasm button.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by robs
........... I've still got teeth marks from people like Pascal for posting dumb stuff... Guess it's nice you MF'ers finally show some restraint.
What did I do now? I know I don't bite...
How can you have teeth marks from someone posting dumb stuff?
Oh, I know... thin skin.

Anyway, I don't recall having a beef with you but I'll apologize if I was out of line.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It appears i need a sarcasm button.
Try this smilie . . .

As Shella noted all the way back in post #1, it's not just about any single conversation putting down automatics, but the near-endlessness of it all. IOW, it's a cumulative effect, and eventually in a particular situation it's too much. As a little light-hearted banter from somebody like Nuke, it probably wouldn't have had the same effect (and her reaction would have been different).

Just because I know exactly where to find it (a thread specifically devoted to CVTs vs manual trannies in a forum for cars that are only available with a CVT . . .

. . . there is a whole spectrum of thought on this. From "no automatic or DSG of any sort, ever" to "as automated as is technologically possible".
There's a difference between holding some position and insisting by implication that others must agree with you at your precise point along that scale. Your list may be entirely correct and even complete from your point of view, but was incomplete from other viewpoints, and was written with a lot of bias showing.

We (I can include my wife here) could legitimately say that your list really isn't as hardcore as you'd perhaps like to think. Item #1 (car not available with MT) is still an absolute deal-breaker for us, by our active and completely free choice. Our newest car is her DD, so her choices and decisions carried the greater weight, and it was far easier for her to live with compromising a NA V6 "down" to a turbo 4 than give up the clutch pedal.

Norm
Old 10-30-2010, 10:47 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Automatcis are for people that fall under one of these catagories.

1. car didn't come with manual as an option.
2. Has a leg injury and shifting is not easy or causes pain.
3. Lazy.
4. Doesn't care about driving.
I fall under the #1 catagory.

My Challenger is an Auto and is in no way as fun to drive as the manual S197.
Not even close. There is just something about dumping the clutch that a
sluggish ol torque converter will just never match... The converter will
always have enough slippage in it to have the grandpa feel to it...

Last edited by 157dB; 10-30-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

manual vs. automatics...V6 vs. GT....always an ongoing battle isn't it?
Old 10-30-2010, 02:39 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Yes it is, but it does make for some very interesting reads.
That is probably part of the reason why I keep coming back to read this thread!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:04 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by robs
Really? Really?

1) If your skin is really that thin... to be all insulted from over hearing a conversation between two people and taking it as a personal insult... Can't believe anyone would have such a chip on their shoulder over something that innocent... if I was the shop owner, I'm glad you wouldn't do business with me cause of some other casual, taken out of context statement made throughout the day that'd get you all huffy.
I don't think I'm really all that hard to do business with? I'm usually a pretty reasonable gal.

Originally Posted by pascal
What did I do now? I know I don't bite...
How can you have teeth marks from someone posting dumb stuff?
Oh, I know... thin skin.

Anyway, I don't recall having a beef with you but I'll apologize if I was out of line.
Don't apologize Pascal!!!! I *love* it when you get out of line.

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Try this smilie . . .

As Shella noted all the way back in post #1, it's not just about any single conversation putting down automatics, but the near-endlessness of it all. IOW, it's a cumulative effect, and eventually in a particular situation it's too much. As a little light-hearted banter from somebody like Nuke, it probably wouldn't have had the same effect (and her reaction would have been different).

Norm
Thank you Norm, I think you understood where I was going with this thread. Actually I haven't even gotten the cams yet. I do little bits at a time.

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
Actually that was not the heart of this thread. That debate will forever go on. This was a thread of me pointing out that ***** should have gotten me a discount on a cam install.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:29 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
Actually that was not the heart of this thread. That debate will forever go on. This was a thread of me pointing out that ***** should have gotten me a discount on a cam install.
I hate to say it, but I see it working the other way more times than not. When car shops see *****, they see an easy way to exploit and overcharge. Sure, there is the trouser rising bit, but when it comes time to business, they see dollar signs from there on.

It is discrimination in the sense of sexism, and of course, it is not right. But it happens all the time.
You on the other hand are not ignorant at all about cars, and probably know more about cars than a good 50% of all men.
Don't let these douche bags take advantage of you; let them know that you are not ignorant about cars at all. I guess all you have to do is work it a little more with the flirt and be a little bit more pushy with the discounts and they probably will budge.

After awhile, they won't try to quibble with your anymore about having an automatic and they will know that you mean business when it comes to getting your car the way you want it.