Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help on deciding which power adder...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Saleen and Edelbrock more difficult to install? I've read they are two of the easiest to install.
Not necessarily harder to install but they both have the driven jack shaft thingy right? They may not be the hardest thing to install but let's not forget that 95% of owners wouldn't attempt to fit axle back exhausts. Mechanical complexity is largely a matter of perspective.
All I mean is, look at a whipple, kenne Bell or OEM Ford and they are more compact than the Saleen/Edlebrock and less pipework than a turbo or centri
Old 07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Speaking generally it isn't the complexity so much that makes things a bitch to do. IME, which is pretty limited so far, the main things that make working on cars suck is the fact that there is almost always some connector or bolt you have to fight with because you can't get to it (easily), you don't have the right tools, or the car is on jack stands and whatever you are doing is a real bastard to do from underneath on your back.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Speaking generally it isn't the complexity so much that makes things a bitch to do. IME, which is pretty limited so far, the main things that make working on cars suck is the fact that there is almost always some connector or bolt you have to fight with because you can't get to it (easily), you don't have the right tools, or the car is on jack stands and whatever you are doing is a real bastard to do from underneath on your back.
Amen to that. And you can't get to the store because it's always at that time when your wife/buddy is out in the other car, or it's after 5pm and the tool shop is closed or or or or
Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yep I've had a project or two that got put on hold unexpectedly because something I ended up needing was at a store - which was closed that day. :/

Good example. I had my rear end up on jackstands and was going to check the torque on my LCA bracket bolts. Naturally my POS craftsman torque wrench blows up on me. And Sears was closed so I couldn't get the exchange.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Saleen and Edelbrock more difficult to install? I've read they are two of the easiest to install.
Yes, Edelbrock is pretty easy to install. Only one wire is tapped into. A handful of wires are re-pinned into new connectors. E-Force is mostly plug and play.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
Not necessarily harder to install but they both have the driven jack shaft thingy right?
No idea what you are talking about there.

No step in installing an E-force was hard for me. It is time consuming because there are a lot of steps, but nothing about it is difficult.

The instructions were good and I did not need any tools other than those listed on page 1 of the instructions.

I did make one step too hard on myself. Pulling the coolant lines out of the firewall is just about impossible if you try it by releasing the lock-tab thing that is on that connector. You'd have to see it to understand. It is just about impossible to access the little thing you have to press to get the connector to release.

Finally, I got in contact with an other self-installed E-forcer and he said just yank it off with a pair of pliers. Ha. Came right out and the connector didn't break. It just needed some "encouragement" from a pair of pliers.

OK, here's an install tip no matter which one you pick - take some vacation time and do this during business hours. Edelbrock has outstanding technical support. But they can't help you outside of business hours. Its great to have somebody available on the other end of the phone.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:43 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
No idea what you are talking about there.

No step in installing an E-force was hard for me. It is time consuming because there are a lot of steps, but nothing about it is difficult.

The instructions were good and I did not need any tools other than those listed on page 1 of the instructions.

I did make one step too hard on myself. Pulling the coolant lines out of the firewall is just about impossible if you try it by releasing the lock-tab thing that is on that connector. You'd have to see it to understand. It is just about impossible to access the little thing you have to press to get the connector to release.

Finally, I got in contact with an other self-installed E-forcer and he said just yank it off with a pair of pliers. Ha. Came right out and the connector didn't break. It just needed some "encouragement" from a pair of pliers.

OK, here's an install tip no matter which one you pick - take some vacation time and do this during business hours. Edelbrock has outstanding technical support. But they can't help you outside of business hours. Its great to have somebody available on the other end of the phone.
Pretty much the same applied to everything from my saleen install. The instructions are very good, project was not hard, but was time consuming. Ignore the first step that tells you to remove your hood, plenty of clearence with it still on.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I have a Saleen SC on my car and drive it every day, no problems, but I am running less power then you want, I'm 425RWHP and happy with that at the moment, sometime in the future I plan on more, but I'm not going to up it till I get a new shortblock, I'm only pusing 7.5 psi (3.6" pulley) and that's at the top end, most of the time I'm at 5ish.

I might leave it where it's at and get some cams (love the sound) and what ever extra I get from them would be great (I imagine 30-40 RWHP)
Old 07-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Ok, so you guys have given me A LOT of great information. Here are a few questions I've come up with:

Will my Hot Rod Cams suffice? I don't like the way the other cams sound compared to the HRs.

I will be adding heads in the future.

I think I've decided to go with the Twin Screw. Now to narrow down the choices.

Whipple I think is out in front because everyone seems to love their Whipple and it's got a good reputation. But so do all the others really. Price seems to be almost the same across the board so I don't think that is a huge factor.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I think the whipple are the ones that have a problem with a heat soak, and where they mount there IAT temp. End up pushing much hotter air into the motor then what it thinks it is getting. They work pretty good, but that IIRC is why brenspeed says they dont sell them.

Also, for the cams, the hot rods will suffice, if your content on something that just suffices. Still a little more power then stock, but you have other options that sound really good too, and will pick up more power.

For example Detroit Rocker blower grinds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ej6...eature=related

or what I'm running, comp 127550 blower cams.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne9CCp_I_Po

Quick Reply: Need some help on deciding which power adder...