Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help on deciding which power adder...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Completely agree Simon. Also, having done the job once makes it go much quicker the second time. You know exactly what tools, what order to do things in, and all the little tricks that you had to figure out the first time to make it easier.

I've had help from a former mechanic friend of mine on a lot of the things I've done. That extra set of (experienced) hands goes a long way towards making certain things easier.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lupo222
Hmmmm...The KB comes with Boost-a-fuel though...would that be sufficient??

Like I said, I still like the Whipple best so far. KB I know CAN put up those numbers, but it doesn't seem as common nor as published...
KB can hold into the low 500 rwhp range, maybe higher, with a BAP. I would recommend dual pumps anyways. I have dual pumps, dual BAP and 60# injectors. Enough to make near 700 rwhp (so they said)

One of the reason the KB does not get pushed by many shops is that they cannot make as much money on the kit. KB sells direct to customer and bypasses dealers. They do have a small wholesale margin for shops that buy their kits and put them on customers cars. But it's not near what the other blower margins are.

I have a KB, I like it. I would choose either the Whipple or KB if I were you. I have never done a Whipple install, but it has been described to me by installers and being the most OEM friendly kit available.

Tuners/racers and some shop owners really like the power the KB makes. More difficult to install, although I thought mine was not bad at all. Lots of splicing of wires, but has excellent instructions. Generally makes more power they say, but can get high IATs if you start running into the 15 PSI range like I do. (I just made an icebox for my car, I will post pics and an explanation tomorrow)

I really like the fit and finish of the Saleen. What I don't like is it is designed more street use and to operated in the 15 psi or below range as it comes from Saleen. Porting work has to be done in order to get it to make more power. Pound for pound on Saleen versus the other blowers, it holds it's own in the power catagory up to around 550 rwhp with stock heads/cams.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
The only twin screw that seems to heat soak is the Kenne Bell. I'm not sure what they use for the rotor housing, but it gets as hot as a frying pan, especially when compared to the Whipple and Saleen.
It's billet material. I think steel.

KB will heat soak to "extreme efficency" as it was put to me by a few tuners. Extreme heat or back to back track passes inhot weather make for poor performance. Although, almost any blower I know of would not operate good in 100+ degree heat.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
It's billet material. I think steel.

KB will heat soak to "extreme efficency" as it was put to me by a few tuners. Extreme heat or back to back track passes inhot weather make for poor performance. Although, almost any blower I know of would not operate good in 100+ degree heat.
I can't argue with that. I know most guys have to wait for spring and summer to hit the track. I'm the exact opposite. In my area, summer means 100 degrees and 100% humidity. Not a good combination at the drag strip.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The 650rwhp mark is a goal...will I obtain it? probably not, however, its nice to dream. And this car will be a weekend cruiser once I get to that point. I have an F-250 diesel that will run forever and get me everywhere.

I realize that I have a lot to replace. And after teh S/C is on, I'll probably sit around with a bigger pulley and hold at the 500rwhp range for a while until I accumulate the stronger components to run that much power.

What will I do with it? I'll enjoy it on the weekends, I'll run it at the track. If I think its too much and I need to make it more streetable, I'll turn it down some.

I do appreciate all the input though. I've got a great place to start here.