Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help on deciding which power adder...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Default Need some help on deciding which power adder...

Well, my plans fell through and now I'm stuck trying to figure out which route to go. So here's my "usage" of the car:

I drive it once every couple months to South Florida from Camp Lejeune (800 miles) so I'd like something reliable to make it home with (although most the time I'll probably take the wifes car)

I track the car once in a while (1320', no road racing yet)

I'm looking to make 550+rwhp. My ideal goal is 650rwhp though.

I wil be running the B302 Brenspeed motor (forged bottom end).

So my choices I think are between the Whipple, the Edelbrock, and a turbo system.

Does anyone have any input, advice or other options I should expand to in my research??

Also, what other parts do you think I should begin to consider beefing up besides the tranny, rear-end, clutch, and tires?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

All good systems from what I hear. The turbo setup will be a lot more work to setup, simply because there are more components, pipes to run, etc.

Rear end should be okay. I'd certainly beef up the clutch disc/pressure plate with something from Mccleod or Spec.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

There is also the Kenne Bell.

Any of them would be great. After driving all types of FI in our cars, I like the positive displacement blowers the most.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I'm kinda partial to the Saleen, and they have more then proven the reliability of the supercharger. I'm sure if you called brenspeed they can make you a custom package with the fuel system, the 60 lb injectors, the 2.8" pulley (14psi,) and I would look at some blower grind Detroit Rockers. That with the B302 should put you were you want to be.

On a side note, even with a ton of supporting mods, taking a GT and aiming for streetable 650rwhp, your still cutting into reliabilty. Dont get me wrong, mine runs pretty good, and I'm getting up there in power, but our transmissions dont like it, my plugs hate it, and at that power level, sometimes things just break. Not to discurage you from doing it, I still would, just know going into it, that you are greatly increasing your chance for mechanical failure of other parts going into it.

Oh yeah, 2 simple mods easily overlooked that realy help.

Steeda Belt tensioner (or one like it)

Oversized water pump pulley (helps with belt wrap around the snout of the supercharger.

Semper Fi
Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I've noticed the Saleen is now pretty much the same price as the Whipple. Other than the IAT sensor location issue with the Whipple is there any reason to choose the Saleen over it?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Well if you're looking for reliable scratch the turbo kit especially in that Florida heat it's going to be even less consistent then a supercharger kit. I'm partial to Whipple but Kenne Belle makes great kits too. Do you plan on installing cylinder heads and cams or just stuffing the motor with tons of boost?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Let's not get into the pros and cons of every specific brand of blower, it's been beaten to death mercilessly already a hundred times.
Talking in generalities :

Turbo setup is probably cheaper overall and has the added advantage of not adding any parasitic losses to the motor. Down sides are that the third party install aspect means the motor bay isn't designed with them in mind and the heat they produce can make long trips something I would be concerned with. The piping/trunking etc can be a nightmare to install and maintain.

Twin screw/rootes blowers are probably the most expensive route but power delivery is far smoother with a nice broad torque curve, nice for relaxed cruising. The install is nice and clean and relatively simple althiough the Saleen & Edelbrock setups are somewhat more intricate.

Centifugal blowers are a mix of the two really. Invariably more pipework and with a boost lag rather like a turbo. Easier to keep cool though than a twin screw because the unit isn't mounted on the motor but hangs off it. Also some parasitic losses involved but less.

Personally I like turbos but I think they belong on smaller motors or for race orientated bigger motors. I think Blowers are the way for DD's or at least regularly road driven big motor'd cars.
Centri or Twin screw? I just don't see why you would want to go with a centri and give up that beautiful torque curve of the twin screw...

My 2c
Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Saleen and Edelbrock more difficult to install? I've read they are two of the easiest to install.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:52 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I installed my own saleen having never done anything like it in my life.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

How good were the instructions?

Quick Reply: Need some help on deciding which power adder...