Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Wheels...Aftermarket Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:37 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

wow, argonaut said it all, with links...NICE and thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 AM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
The Wilwood SL6 is one of the more compact BBKs available (SL6R for Mustang). They also have a wheel clearance diagram.

HTH
Great information Argonaut, Thanks. Before I get to excited about these SL6 brakes do you know just off hand if they will fit the stock Bullit wheels?
Old 08-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by geocomp
Great information Argonaut, Thanks. Before I get to excited about these SL6 brakes do you know just off hand if they will fit the stock Bullit wheels?
I couldn't tell you if they will fit under those wheels. All wheels have different backspacing and I don't know what it is for those wheels. The Wilwood site does have the info and a template you can print out and glue to a piece of cardboard. You can then line it up against the rotor and see if they will clear.

I can tell you this though - the SL6R is the most compact "BBK" class setup on the market. Here is the issue - the OEM calipers are a slide-rail design. They have two pistons on one side (the inside) and none on the outside. The caliper slides on two guide pins to keep aligned with the rotor as the brake pedal is pressed and as the pad wears down. This is a common OEM design, it works reasonably well for most users and is cheaper to produce. Since there are no pistons on the outside the shell can be a lot thinner and thus the wheel doesn't need as much backspacing. Most BBK setups, including the SL6R, have radial calipers where there are pistons on both sides of the rotor. This is a superior braking system for many reasons but is really only required for extreme usage like racing tracks or serious canyon carving. Because of the pistons on the outside of the caliper, the overall caliper has to be a lot thicker. So, unless your wheel has enough distance from the rotor to the spokes, the caliper won't fit. The SL6R however is the thinest design, so it can fit under wheels that others can't (take a look at the Wilwood WSA caliper, its a monster).

The other concern in fitting BBKs under wheels is the rotor size. As the rotor diameter increases the caliper is moved out (further away from the center of the rotor) and can hit the wheel. In general < 13" rotors will fit under 17 " rims and 14" rotors need 18" or bigger rims (keep in mind every wheel design is different, these are just rules of thumb). Here again the SL6R kit helps because it comes with ~13" rotor. Thus the reason this is the most compact BBK class kit on the market (at least that I am aware of).

HTH
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Blue10
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
I don't think you are getting the gist of the posts.
Sorry, that's what happens when I read at 1:50 AM...thanks!