Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Wheels...Aftermarket Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Blue10
1st Gear Member

Question Stock Wheels...Aftermarket Brakes?

Is anyone aware of aftermarket brake upgrades that are compatible with stock 18"x8" wheels? I searched for an existing thread, but couldn't find one. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

The only one I'm aware of that has a stock wheel brake upgrade that actually gets good results is Stainless Steel Brakes Co. You can find them at SSBrakes.com
Old 08-01-2010, 09:13 PM
jetmek

Talking Brakes

Check into R1concepts.com they have great rotors and good prices. I had the rotors (drilled & slotted) on a previous car & my brother in law put them on his G35, perform great!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

What do you mean by "aftermarket brake upgrades"? Are you talking about a BBK (big brake kit) with 14" rotors and radial calipers or just rotors or what?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Blue10
1st Gear Member

If there was a big brake kit that would clear the 18"x8" wheels, that would be great! If not, I'm looking for rotor and/or caliper upgrades that will clear. Not just cosmetic stuff (like caliper covers), but stuff that's actually functional.

Last edited by Blue10; 08-03-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blue10
If there was a big brake kit that would clear the 18"x8" wheels, that would be great! If not, I'm looking for rotor and/or caliper upgrades that will clear. Not just cosmetic stuff (like caliper covers), but stuff that's actually functional.
OEM is functional. Upgrading not required unless you go to higher temp fluid and different pads.
Why not consider a larger wheel package that will allow a bigger brake set-up first? Afterall you could use bigger tires with the SC.

Cheers.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The StopTech ST-40 caliper with 14" rotors is a very nice BBK. On the ST web site they publish a fitment guide - its a template you can print out and use to see if they will fit. Here is a link for you: Fitment Guide. Here is a link to the BBK I'm referring to: ST BBK. You can order online from several vendors for ~$1495 for the one piece rotor or ~$2500 with the two piece.

The Wilwood SL6 is one of the more compact BBKs available (SL6R for Mustang). They also have a wheel clearance diagram. Note that this is a 13" rotor - don't get hung up on rotor size, I've met many guys using this kit on race tracks with great results. For more info on why rotor size has little importance see my posts in this thread (Discusson of rotor size)

You should also check into the Brembo setup that came on the GT500, I don't know about the sizing but there are several guys on this forum who have this setup on their GTs. "Sleeper 08" is one, you could try PMing him.

Not clear if your interest is in improving on the stock braking performance only or if you also are interested in the cosmetics. Either way there are several things you can do with the OEM setup: better brake pads will give you a better feel and less chance of fade during heavy use. If you really use the brakes hard and are boiling the fluid (feels like a mushy pedal) then you can swap from DOT3 to DOT4 fluid. SS lines and brake cooling ducts are other common things we do on the race track. For the look side of things - there are many rotor options that will fit the OEM setup, do a search on TireRack and you can see several. As a general rule of thumb - if you want slotted or drilled rotors for their look but push the car very hard then go with slotted. The lower priced drilled rotors have a tendency to crack quicker when used in racing (contrary to what many of the internet wanabees will regurgitate, not all drilled rotors are junk, I have a set of PFC drilled 2-piece rotors on my Vette that have about 15 track days on them and are still going - but then again the rotors cost $700. Normal OEM solid rotors crack after about 5-8 days).

HTH
Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Blue10
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
OEM is functional. Upgrading not required unless you go to higher temp fluid and different pads.
On average, I think you're right and these brakes are really good. But every now and then, when someone pulls out in front of me or something like that, I wish they were better. And upgrading is fun!

Originally Posted by nemosgt
Why not consider a larger wheel package that will allow a bigger brake set-up first? Afterall you could use bigger tires with the SC.
I absolutely agree with you there. Unfortunately, I'm budget constrained, and it's going to be a while before I could afford good wheels + tires. So I thought I'd see if I could afford better brakes sooner.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Blue10
1st Gear Member

Thanks to everyone for all the good ideas so far! Any others?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blue10
On average, I think you're right and these brakes are really good. But every now and then, when someone pulls out in front of me or something like that, I wish they were better. And upgrading is fun!

I absolutely agree with you there. Unfortunately, I'm budget constrained, and it's going to be a while before I could afford good wheels + tires. So I thought I'd see if I could afford better brakes sooner.
I don't think you are getting the gist of the posts. If someone pulls out in front of you, bigger brakes will not stop you quicker. Once you slam on the brakes it's all down to tires, surface interaction (traction) and ABS. Your OEM brake system is as good as you will get in this scenario.

However, I admit, big brake kits do look great and offer some advantages if you are going to seriously track the car. Just don't expect better braking with them on the street. In fact you may see a decrease in performance due the extra weight of the rotors etc.

I would upgrade wheels and tires before brakes, being budget constrained. Several vendors are selling Shelby take-offs for around $1000 or less. Cheaper than most big-brake kits.

I know it's fun to mod as you say, isn't it? Enjoy the hobby.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Stock Wheels...Aftermarket Brakes?