Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank issue question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default Fuel tank issue question

I know there's a TSB out for the slow fuel filling problem. My car was always ok-ish in that respect, it was a bit reluctant sometimes but usually twisting the filler did the trick.
Anyhoo, recently I tried to fill the thing and I could get Zero in it. I mean nothing. The fuel was just burping back out at me all over the floor.
Long story short, I ended up getting home and with the aide of a long piece of coat hanger wire I managed to push open the flapper and coax some gas in the tank from a can. All the time the gas was going in there was a whistling noise emanating from the small breather hole under the main filler neck.

I go to the Stealership and they tell me that a) as my car is out of warranty the TSB is now a chargeable job. and b) my car is a 2006 and so already has the updated tank and that I have a separate, TSB unrelated issue and they want $85 to just look at it.

So what I want to know is whether there's something I can do myself to investigate this. I'm wondering if it's either a sticky anti theft flapper valve or whether the air vent is clogged.

Any advise, other than lube up and take it to the dealer ?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The flapper is mechanically opened by the nozzle on the pump so that isn't the issue. If this just started to occur then I'd try different gas stations. Some pumps are more prone to cause the issue and a pump with higher flow and/or higher sensitivity shut-off can be the problem right now for you. But if it's happening all of a sudden at all gas stations then you may want to look for a restriction leading into the tank.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

After I got gas into the tank with the can I wondered if I'd managed to clear the problem with the wire and tried at other stations with no success. I am in the position of not being able to gas the car with any gas station pump whatsoever. I recently went out for the day with the car and had to take a 20litre can with me. i filled that can 4 times that day and filled the car from it in a parking lot. How retarded is that?

i don't see a flapper in the tank neck but feel something right at the bottom of the filler tube with the wire. I can move it out the way. is it possible the flapper unit has slid down the tube ??

if I try to fill the tank without the wire pushing a path, I can put about a cup full of gas into the hole at which point it'll take no more. It's the weirdest thing, the top of the neck is full and you can see the open filler neck through the gas. it's like there is a glass lid on it.. Freakshow ! My buddy didn't believe that until he saw it himself and went away questioning the laws of physics LOL
Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You MUST have a restriction in there that happened recently. Check the shop manual and see what you can disassemble.

Otherwise, it's those stupid "liter" things. Everyone knows that GALLONS flow better than liters.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Hey Marcus, I came across this a while back, and kept it in case I ever had this problem. You can try it, and let us know if it works.
http://ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm
Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

And here's the shop manual info: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=316
Old 08-02-2010, 07:58 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
Hey Marcus, I came across this a while back, and kept it in case I ever had this problem. You can try it, and let us know if it works.
Hmm, interesting. I'll defo try that first and update to let you guys know.

Thanks Nuke for the link
Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Absolutely let us know if you clean the (vent?) filter in the write-up provided by americaniron. If that works, I'll be adding that as a PM (Preventive Maintenance) item on my list for both Stangs.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Absolutely let us know if you clean the (vent?) filter in the write-up provided by americaniron. If that works, I'll be adding that as a PM (Preventive Maintenance) item on my list for both Stangs.
OK, this is getting weird.
I don't know if the write up is faulted or whether my car is a freak, but there is something wrong here/there.

Firstly, st step 6, the write up refers to a line coming from the top of the fuel tank into a square filter box. Well I have the filter and the line but it doesn't hook to the tank at all. It connects to a pvc pipe which simply runs up and ends above the rear end. I assume this is an atmospheric breather...

Anyway, the filter has no obstruction at all nor do it's feed pipes. HOWEVER, at step 5 there are two pipes which join at a connector and run into the canister, The guy says he blew through both pipes and they were clear. Well, one of my pipes is absolutely totally 100% blocked. I could not blow through that at all. Thing is, I don't know whether that pipe should be open or closed?? It just runs forward on the chassis, next to the fuel line, and then I lose it.

What is that big canister thing anyway?

WTF ?

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 08-03-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:10 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Another question. Can one of you guys have a look into the filler neck and tell me if you see a flapper valve? there isn't anything in mine for at least 12" at which point my wire get's snagged going round a bend.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank issue question