Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I have an Airaid CAI, which is the same company that makes the Roush CAI. You are correct, the CAI does not require a tune, however, as everyone stated above, there is only minimal gaines with a stand alone CAI. You may only get (5-7 HP) increase with a stand alone CAI and it does not feel much different. Go with the CAI/tune combo and you will not be dissapointed!!!!
See pic below...it is not the greatest looking CAI, but it works well. =-)
Good luck!!!!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 08-06-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

I understand what everyone is saying with regards to the tuning. I guess I am just so new to this stuff that I am kind of intimidated by it. I don't want to jeopardize my warranty or have to put anything above 87 octane gas in the car. I also have no clue on the tuning process. I use this car as my primary vehicle so I cannot afford to do something that would ground it.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

1. Adding a CAI & tune will NOT void your warranty. It will allow the dealer to intimidate wusses with no frickin' spine and/or *****.

2. A custom 87 tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune and is typically good for at least 15-20 RWHP (at least on the GT) with a CAI.

3. Other than a very small percentage of initial install issues, CAI & tunes render your car no less dependable than stock.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

You already have a stock CAI. Put a drop in K & N and BUY A TUNER. You will NEVER EVER look back. Trust us on this. It is the cheapest mod for the money and you will get lots more out of your car than you think you will.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

Any suggestions on a tuner?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I purchased the SCT Xcal 3 tuner w/ 3 custom tunes from Brenspeed. I am very pleased with the results, especially for a sixxer!! You can also purchase the CAI/tune combo from American Muscle and the tunes are free for life. The cost for the tuner alone is around $379.99. If you get the CAI/Tuner combo, it maybe a less expensive route.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Either Brenspeed or AM. Both of them support the SCT and write some of the better quality tunes. In addition, their customer service is top notch. Check their websites for more info including installation videos. Very easy.

In addition to power addition, the tunes will improve drivability; specifically reducing or eliminating throttle lag and, on autos, improves shifting.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:15 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
I have an Airaid CAI, which is the same company that makes the Roush CAI. You are correct, the CAI does not require a tune, however, as everyone stated above, there is only minimal gaines with a stand alone CAI. You may only get (5-7 HP) increase with a stand alone CAI and it does not feel much different. Go with the CAI/tune combo and you will not be dissapointed!!!!
See pic below...it is not the greatest looking CAI, but it works well. =-)
Good luck!!!!

Your Mustang looks flat-out amazing! Wheels look great.....what are they exactly? Brand, Size, width....
Old 08-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I have an 07, I drove it the first year stock. Halfway through the second year (I only drive it in summer up here in the north), I bought a CAI and tune for the car. All I can say is WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Now, NY has pretty rigid inspection requirements. Every year I have to return the car to the stock tune, put the stock airbox on, drive it 50 miles and then get it inspected. Afterwards the first thing I do is reload the aftermarket tune. I cannot stand to drive it with the stock tune, it is like neutering a dog. So you should be able to see that the tune is really worth it. You ever wonder why they call an automatic a "slushbox"? Well, after loading a tune you will know why. I recently had to take my car to a Ford dealer and they had to drive it to fix a small problem. The service manager said the mechanic mentioned he had never driven a Mustang with an auto tranny that was that fast.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I love Brenspeed. I did the mistake of buying a no tune required CAI at the time. Very minimal improvement. At first I didn't want to go around messing with tunes, but then I bit the bullet and ordered a custom tune from Brenspeed and I never looked back since. Even the 87 owns the stock tune. I run 93 on a daily driver, but yeah, you are going to spend a little extra for the higher octane gas. Even so the 87 put a huge smile on my face. Mine's an auto and I had to relearn to drive my pony since there was virtually no throttle lag.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake upgrade question