Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning Manual on 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:47 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

congrats im sure you will enjoy the car either way. now you have to post pics
Old 09-13-2010, 04:12 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
congrats im sure you will enjoy the car either way. now you have to post pics
True.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 PM
orgchem

Doing my best on the pics; got a call today from the dealer - car probably won't be there until tomorrow Another sleepless night!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:08 PM
BillQ

Originally Posted by orgchem
Hey all - got my first Mustang! Ingot silver (will take pictures later). However, despite all the great advice in this thread, I decided not to get a manual. Mainly my better half, but me as well, are nervous people, and the test drive in the manual didn't go so well. There's no way my better half would have been willing to put effort into learning to drive the car, and I felt the same way. So we went with an auto. You can say "I told you so" if I regret it later, but I think I'll be happy with the choice.

Thanks for the help!
You've got the bottom 3 gears available to you, manually. Just learn the RPM limits and top speed for each of these gears and start playing with them.
Of course, it will never be quite the same as a manual but it is still fun to enter an onramp in second gear and floor it to merge. Yup, lots of fun!!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:13 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Whoever says learning manual is easy, and will take a week, is full of crap. Sure, some can pick it up quicker than others, but to feel 75% comfortable, it'll be at least a month, and at least 3 months before you stop looking at the RPMs to shift.

I would still recommend a rental car to practice on. And to start off, I would release the clutch slowly, and NOT press on the gas at all. Just get a feel for where the clutch releases, you will know you're at that point when the car starts to move a little. Also practice holding the RPMs at various levels, with the car in neutral just so you get a feel for the accelerator. The clutch part isn't healthy for the clutch, that's why I recommend a rental.

Just don't get frustrated, I remember during the few weeks I was learning I just had wish I went with an automatic, but in the end, it is so worth having this skill.

Good luck with the sick new car.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Better to forget there's even a tach there and learn when to shift "by ear" and "by feel".

When you're first learning to drive stick, you don't belong anywhere near redline, and developing a feel for working the mechanical bits will make you smoother at it.

Norm
Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Better to forget there's even a tach there and learn when to shift "by ear" and "by feel".

When you're first learning to drive stick, you don't belong anywhere near redline, and developing a feel for working the mechanical bits will make you smoother at it.
Norm
That's how I gauge when to shift; hardly ever look at the Tach.

Other points to consider when operating a manual include shifting to neutral and letting out the clutch when you're stopped for a long period of time such as at a red light. This is to avoid additional wear and tear on the throw-out bearing (or concentric slave cylinder), plus it's easier on your foot.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

One time when I was riding my Harley in a group w/ other Harley riders, I couldn't hear my engine, so I reverted to the tach.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
Other points to consider when operating a manual include shifting to neutral and letting out the clutch when you're stopped for a long period of time such as at a red light. This is to avoid additional wear and tear on the throw-out bearing (or concentric slave cylinder), plus it's easier on your foot.
Over the long run, the engine's thrust bearing will thank you, too.

Norm