Noob Buying First Mustang, Price+thoughts welcome - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #11  
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I've been thinking about your situation and have a few observations:

1. You've got to remember that most of the members on this forum are totally focused on performance. The standard answer to every question is to go with more hp. That's not the best answer for everyone. There's a decreasing marginal return on power. I thought my stock V6 was a dog when I first got it, but I was able to make a huge jump forward in performance by investing about $1500 on CAI & tune, swaybars, and duals. Even though I would love to have a GT myself, I sure liked saving the 4 or 5 grand too. A modded V6 may be enough for you too.
2. There are zillions of 1-2 year old V6 'verts out on the market. They are very common in the rental fleets, esp. in Florida and CA. That drives the prices way down. You will have a lot of bargaining power at the dealer. I got an absolute steal on my '08 as a 1 year old, low mileage rental car. I kept walking away and the dealer kept going lower. He and I both knew that there were 10 more available just like it in the for sale ads. By contrast, there aren't many GT 'verts out there. I don't think they depreciate as much. That's good news when you sell but bad news when you buy.
3. If this was me, I might try really hard to get a used '10. Even though I like the body style of the S197 best personally, they are going to depreciate pretty fast once everyone gets used to the new body. I'll bet there will be good deals on used '10s pretty soon. Also, I'd look really hard at the '11 V6. It's hard to believe that you can buy a 300hp, 30 mpg sports car for 25K.

Last edited by atldave; 08-12-2010 at 10:48 AM.
atldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #12  
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atldave View Post
Hey, I've been thinking about your situation and have a few observations:

1. You've got to remember that most of the members on this forum are totally focused on performance. The standard answer to every question is to go with more hp.
That's not necessarily true. There is a wide spectrum of users on here. From simple visual modding to extreme performance.

He originally wanted a GT and was thinking V6 due to cost. Nothing wrong with a V6 and not trying to start anything here, but we're just pointing it out. Why settle for something you don't really want when you can wait and the right one shows up. A car is a big investment and not something to throw around lightly. Once you pick one up, you'll be stuck with it for some time.
alkemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #13  
conejo172
4th Gear Member

All I have to add to this is, test drive or rent both the V6 and the GT both in hard top and convertible, see what each one offers and make a decision! When I bought my 2010 V6 it was to have a nice looking daily driver at a cheap price! These cars are addictive to modify and although mine is mostly appearance mods with minor performance mods in mind, I don't regret buying the 6. I have had high performance cars in the past, gotten in trouble legally because of said performance cars, and feel the 6 is as capable to get in trouble if driven that way! Either way like the others have said don't ever make a sacrifice because of a price tag! Get what you want but after doing research!
conejo172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #14  
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgreen7 View Post
thanks for all the feedback, youre all right. the more i think about it the more it makes sense to wait and search. i figure ill keep looking for another month and see what i can/cant find and address it then.

i didnt know that about the 2008 v6s, i thought the differences between 2005-2009 were pretty minimal. guess i have to do some more research... what makes the 2008 models more reliable?

also, anyone have any experience with california inspection/emissions? ive heard from a few people that the state is a lot tougher compared to others, should that matter when it comes to a relatively new car from the east coast?
Whats your budget? you looking to only spend 10k ?

If you have an income why dont you think about putting 10k down on a new 2011 V6. they have as much HP and TQ as 2005-2009 GT's. Plus they PWN the GT's in gas mileage. Seems like you want a car for the actual car. Not for speed and tracks like half these guys telling you buy the V8.

-So is this going to be your daily driver?
-Are you interested in gas mileage?
-Are you interested in hauling *** all the time? or you buying the car because you love mustangs for more than just speed?
-P.S. are you focused on getting a convert, or do u like Hardtops as well?
IMO convert = extra money and extra repairs eventually.

So tell me, Why do you want a V8? whats the car going to be for you?
Dreamtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #15  
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemist View Post
That's not necessarily true. There is a wide spectrum of users on here. From simple visual modding to extreme performance.

He originally wanted a GT and was thinking V6 due to cost. Nothing wrong with a V6 and not trying to start anything here, but we're just pointing it out. Why settle for something you don't really want when you can wait and the right one shows up. A car is a big investment and not something to throw around lightly. Once you pick one up, you'll be stuck with it for some time.
I maybe didn't do a good job explaining my point. What I meant is that it's not just a choice between a stock V6 and a stock GT. Another option is a modded V6. I was really disappointed in the performance of my V6 'vert when I first got it, but after investing a few basic performance mods, I love it every time I get behind the wheel. Sure, I would love a GT even more, but I don't know if I'd love it enough more to justify the big jump in price (and the spousal conflicts that would go with it.) Used V6 convertibles are just a great, great deal on the used market. However, at other times in my life, I would have chosen the GT hands down. The only problem for prospective buyers is that it's almost impossible to test drive a modded V6. Maybe the original poster could find someone in one of the local clubs who could give him a spin?
atldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #16  
acgreen7

so after a vacation, i come back and see all these posts. thanks for the help guys.

first off since ill be moving to la, i plan on being in my car alot (unfortunately) whether its traffic/commuting/or just weekend trips up and down the coast. so instead of getting a kick around crap car i wanted one that i would love and be proud of. add the fact that id rather have the reliability of a "newer" (2005+) so hopefully i wouldnt have too spend too much on maintenance.

ive always just wanted a convertible so i figured this would be the perfect time for one

performance wise is where i cant make my mind up... ive test drove a v6 and a lightly modded GT (exhaust/cai) and loved everything about the gt. the problem ive been thinking about is if spending that extra 3-5k on a v8 when i would never bring it to a track or really use its full potential very often is worth it

so thats the dilemma... i would spend 15k on a gt if i could find one that didnt have 80000-120000 miles on it but that seems like a tall order after checking cars.com/autotrader/craigslist a bunch
acgreen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #17  
acgreen7

ive also heard that the v8 engines are more reliable in general as well so thats another thing.

i wish i could spend 25k on a car but right now im not sure i want to have to finance in order to pay for a 2010 or 2011 when a 2005 would do me just fine.
acgreen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #18  
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

don't know where at in new york you are located, how many miles you're looking for or even how far you're willing to travel but i found a convert GT in Cliffwood NJ that's windveil blue and 189 miles away from Utica, New York (big city in center of state)...hope this helps...also, depending on how much you're putting down will affect the amount of the loan you'll be taking out. say you put down 5,000 and the car's sticker is 20,000...you're loan will be around 16k after tax/title...food for thought

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
bakerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #19  
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

also, i just thought i'd throw this out there. i was in a very similiar dilemma about a month ago when i purchased my GT and my father told me this, "if its not what you want, don't settle. nothing is worse than thinking about what ifs"...i figured
$50 a month more for a GT was well worth it and i haven't regretted it AT ALL...do what you really want because you will have to drive that car for a long time(if you are in any situation like me at least haha)
bakerjd is offline   Reply With Quote