Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bolt on mods vs warranty : )

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:39 PM
JustCruisinGT
1st Gear Member

Default bolt on mods vs warranty : )

Sup guys, I just got my new 10 Mustang GT and after owning some other fast muscle cars my mod fever never really left. But anyways straight to the point, Im going with Ford racing parts, I want the x pipe, the "loud" mufflers, K&N filter, and I am going to get a Diablo sport tuner as well. Assuming I recalibrate my factory tune before maintenance will I be voiding my warranty with the exhaust mods? Thanks for any help
Old 08-08-2010, 12:54 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

The dealer will tell you it will, although it being from Ford racing I'd imagine not. Either way in order for a mod to void warranty work it has to be the cause of the failure. Dealers like to tell everyone that anything they do aftermarket voids it, it's just not true. Research Moss-Magnassun (sp?) warranty act.

As far as the tuner I made a mistake getting the diablo sport. Custom tunes must be done at a diablo dealer shop unlike the SCT where you can have custom tunes sent to you.

If you're staying with the canned tune (ones that come with the tuner) then it's fine but if not it's a hassle imo.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:54 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act). The dealership has to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure in order to void the warranty.

It's a hypothetical, but take your tune for instance: suppose your engine blows (lets say piston failure), and you take it to the dealership. They see the tune, and say that the tune was responsible for causing the failure. They would have to prove it did in order to void your warranty on the engine. They could not void the warranty on the WHOLE car. If it went to court, they could make the point that the tune was aftermarket, not a Ford tune, changed the factory tune for the sole purpose of gaining more horsepower for the car, and put the parts under stress they were "not designed for" (so they say), and therefore the part failed as a result. What would be your counter to that in court? The judge would probably side with the dealership on that one.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:58 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

There is a huge difference between talking about the law and actually dealing with a service manager who happens to be a *****. Over the years I've dealt with two who were aholes. It's not fun. You may eventually win, but they can make it very hard on you.

Probably the best thing to do is just put a supercharger on it and forget all about the powertrain warranty. It's alot more fun and there is no more warranty stress.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
As far as the tuner I made a mistake getting the diablo sport. Custom tunes must be done at a diablo dealer shop unlike the SCT where you can have custom tunes sent to you.
Who told you that? This is simply not true.

Mike Wilson http://www.tuningsuperstore.com/customtuning/

Last edited by Gene K; 08-08-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The only issue with mods vs warranty is the gutless, spineless, balless wuss that allows the dealer to intimidate him or her.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The only issue with mods vs warranty is the gutless, spineless, balless wuss that allows the dealer to intimidate him or her.
Do you keep your aftermarket tune on your car if/when you take it to the dealer and just tell them to stick it if they say something?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:24 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JustCruisinGT
Sup guys, I just got my new 10 Mustang GT and after owning some other fast muscle cars my mod fever never really left. But anyways straight to the point, Im going with Ford racing parts, I want the x pipe, the "loud" mufflers, K&N filter, and I am going to get a Diablo sport tuner as well. Assuming I recalibrate my factory tune before maintenance will I be voiding my warranty with the exhaust mods? Thanks for any help
You may want to do some research into what parts to use. A suggestion would be to go with a cai and tuner package from one of the vendors on this site. They will come with custom tunes for the cai and any other mods that have been done.

+1 on going with the sct. Most tuners prefer and use sct, at least the ones I've dealt with.

Exhaust isn't going to void any warranty unless you remove the cats. At that point your emissions system would be tampered with and the seperate emissions system warranty could be in jepordy. Emissions system components are required to have a 7 year warranty by Federal law. Even then most dealerships will choose not to see what you've done. After all, they make money on warranty work and probably want your business. If they do give you a hassle just fly Nuke up to tell them how it is.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:01 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gene K
Who told you that? This is simply not true.

Mike Wilson http://www.tuningsuperstore.com/customtuning/
Well, well... I must have got some bad info. Thanks ALOT lol was getting ready to sell it and order an sct. I still may but still good to know.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 AM
JustCruisinGT
1st Gear Member

LOL, so Im pretty safe as long as I don't go passed the cats right? As for intake I was just going to go with a filter and thats it, whenever it goes in for maintenance I was going to retune to factory settings. Thanks for the help so far.

Quick Reply: bolt on mods vs warranty : )