Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestion on new amp location

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:11 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Default Suggestion on new amp location

So got my 2011 sound system upgraded, don't ever watch while it's being done, nothing worse than seeing that center console removed, when it looks like part of dash, but everything back together looks great, and the sound OMG, Memphis system, they specifically the 8" midbass for the doors and then the others have the removeable tweeters which I left in place incase I want to remove system if traded in I would put stock back in, question is I have a reaaly nice Alpine PDX-5 Channel amp, an HD Amp, it is mounted behind seat, thought being digital would not run as hot as does, but I never had a amp so other day driving for 45 mins, of course sealed up in truck, music stopped, I turned radio off 10 seconds, worked fine, got home, not a real big burning smell, but like a warm equipt. smeel, felt amp was really, in summer I'm told they do need ventilation, is there another good place to mount, where more air gets to it, starting toda since no back seat riders, I'll leave seats folded done should help ? Anyone have experience, is this normal, the guys who installed do so many they are really good so doubt a simple system like this was installed wrong, they do lot of custom install all day long.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:24 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I would leave the seats folded down, thats what I did when I had my system it lets the air flow through there.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:35 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Yeah I have my amps in a rack behind the back seats in the trunk. Haven't had any overheating issues with them but on the real hot days I do fold the seats down like redfire said.

If you want a more permanent solution you could mount it under one of the front seats. But obviously you have to keep it clean, dust free so lots of vacuuming. But with your ac on, the floor is the coolest part of the car.

One thing I see that might help you out, it looks like your amp is mounted directly on the seat... Make a couple thin bars (or 4 small squares/circles) from wood/MDF/whatever you have handy that will look decent (even some washers stacked), paint it if you have to and run them along the back of the amp on the sides (if bars, sides only, not top/bottom) and screw it in through that and the seat with larger screws so that there is a gap behind the amp where heat can dissipate. I'd also move it a bit higher (looks like bottom edge is on carpet also) so all sides are free and don't retain heat.

Last edited by MOOK3456; 08-11-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
Yeah I have my amps in a rack behind the back seats in the trunk. Haven't had any overheating issues with them but on the real hot days I do fold the seats down like redfire said.

If you want a more permanent solution you could mount it under one of the front seats. But obviously you have to keep it clean, dust free so lots of vacuuming. But with your ac on, the floor is the coolest part of the car.

One thing I see that might help you out, it looks like your amp is mounted directly on the seat... Make a couple thin bars (or 4 small squares/circles) from wood/MDF/whatever you have handy that will look decent (even some washers stacked), paint it if you have to and run them along the back of the amp on the sides (if bars, sides only, not top/bottom) and screw it in through that and the seat with larger screws so that there is a gap behind the amp where heat can dissipate. I'd also move it a bit higher (looks like bottom edge is on carpet also) so all sides are free and don't retain heat.
Kind of like a spacer, I had my amp mounted on top of my box with spacers in between.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I was writing all that trying to think of an easier explanation...Spacers , duh lol.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
I was writing all that trying to think of an easier explanation...Spacers , duh lol.
Haha just re-read and noticed you didn't even mention the word spacer...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM
lexustech48
1st Gear Member

Stock head unit? Just curious because of the anti theft design.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Yes all stock head sync, all that works. also yes called the shop they are going to space it out for me saturday and I do have seat down was a lot cooler riden in today, I like to drive with windows down even when 100 out LOL.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Get a computer or oil cooler fan and slap it on the AMP. The trunk isn't particularly well sealed by the rear seats, so it should draw in enough fresh air to keep it cool.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

actually bought a 8 " fan today a wallymart plug in 12v plug, but got feeling after i get spaced might help, thanks

Quick Reply: Suggestion on new amp location