Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Default Installing Rear Bumper

Hey guys,

I don't know if any of you are/were following my mod thread (probably not) but I decided on and ordered a painted GT/CS rear bumper (along with sequentials, which I easily installed). It should be arriving within the next few days, hopefully, and I just wanted to inquire about how hard it is to install. I've searched and searched but really didn't get anywhere. I called the local body shop for a quote estimate and they said probably 1.5 hrs @ $50/hr but couldn't really tell w/o seeing it etc. If it's easy enough I'd obviously like to install it myself but if it's not worth the hassle I'll just have them/someone do it.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Its as easy as the front... Don't pay somebody for that.

There is 2 screws on each side in the fender well those come out, you take the plastic trunk lining out(where the trunk latch is) those consists of push clips, there is 2 push clips under the car where the bumper attaches you can't miss them those come out as well, then there are 4 bolts behind the plastic trunk lining that you take out you will see the holes theyre kind of deep but there is 4 defined holes about the size of a half dollar. You're gonna take those 4 bolts off but be careful not to drop them down into the body there just take your time. Your gonna want to remove the tag light cover and sidemarkers to remove the bulbs out of them, then from there be firm with it because the bumper is snapped in from that point and pull it off, it slides off. Sorry if that doesn't really clarify everything but there is a PDF file of the assembly floating around here somewhere. Def. really easy though.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Yeah it doesn't seem like it would be super hard. But then again, I don't want to but stuck without a bumper on or something. I'm going to have to look for some instructions and see if it's something I'm capable of.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 01:21 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
Yeah it doesn't seem like it would be super hard. But then again, I don't want to but stuck without a bumper on or something. I'm going to have to look for some instructions and see if it's something I'm capable of.

Thanks
Use the search function on here and type in something like "05-09 rear bumper install" or something along those lines, I've found the PDF on here so I know its around here somewhere.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:52 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If the bumper you're getting has the bracket on it with the factory pop rivets, then it's really a swap and matter of wrenching 11mm nuts, a few screws and clips off and on.

I f you have to reuse your bracket from your old bumper, those rivets need to be drilled off and it can be tricky for the common mortals...
I've seen where people went gun-ho when drilling and oversized the holes of the bumper...
Then you have a mess on re-mount because the rivets will go right through the holes.
Just be careful on that step, take your time...
Old 08-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure it's just the bumper, and I'd have to reuse the brackets.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
If the bumper you're getting has the bracket on it with the factory pop rivets, then it's really a swap and matter of wrenching 11mm nuts, a few screws and clips off and on.

I f you have to reuse your bracket from your old bumper, those rivets need to be drilled off and it can be tricky for the common mortals...
I've seen where people went gun-ho when drilling and oversized the holes of the bumper...
Then you have a mess on re-mount because the rivets will go right through the holes.
Just be careful on that step, take your time...
I wnt gun-ho when mounting my blinker brackets from my V6 to GT front and ended up using fat christmas tree clips to make up for the big holes very snug.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I wnt gun-ho when mounting my blinker brackets from my V6 to GT front and ended up using fat christmas tree clips to make up for the big holes very snug.
Using washers on each sides of the new rivet is also another way to cope with this.
I just hate butchery...
Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Well all I know is that I have a while to figure this out. It's scheduled to arrive Thurs the 19th after being ordered Tues the 10th. Ahhh patience
Old 08-13-2010, 05:16 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
Well all I know is that I have a while to figure this out. It's scheduled to arrive Thurs the 19th after being ordered Tues the 10th. Ahhh patience
Where did you get the CS/GT500 bumper from anyways? The only place I have seen them is late model restoration and that wasn't painted. I almost got it but I couldn't justify paying $350 then another $250 to paint so instead I just re-did my stock V6 rear which had silicone and all types of other stuff from when I had the Razzi rear valance on it. I'm going to be getting another add-on piece back there soon.

Quick Reply: Installing Rear Bumper