Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm having trouble with my GT after adding mods.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:55 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
A lack of [enhanced] tune won't stop the car like that. It might make it run lean at the top end but don't subscribe to the myth that CAI alone will brick a car LMAO

It's the TB for sure. Whether it's a wiring issue, a defective TPS or whatever, it's in that unit.
Remember, there is no such thing as coincidence
And you, sir, have obviously never installed a significantly larger-than-stock-bore intake on an 05+ Mustang GT.

Any intake looking to make a gain - I.E., one requiring a tune, with a larger MAF section - will absolutely cause the issues you are speaking of right now. 99.99% of the time, the car will either die within seconds of being started, or will just barely idle, absolutely nothing more.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:07 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

The BBK CAI will eventually throw a code. If you are lucky and it doesn't, like Nuke said, you aren't getting the gains a tuned CAI would. Do yourself a favor and get a tune. I prefer Brenspeed myself.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:47 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

there are alot of issue when using the bigger tb so i think that is your problem put the stocker back on and see what happens
Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
A lack of [enhanced] tune won't stop the car like that. It might make it run lean at the top end but don't subscribe to the myth that CAI alone will brick a car LMAO

It's the TB for sure. Whether it's a wiring issue, a defective TPS or whatever, it's in that unit.
Remember, there is no such thing as coincidence
ASSUMING (and we all know what happens when you assume) he checked and reconnected all wires and the spring as necessary and it was all set up properly, then yes, the highest probability is the tune. I know when I put my CAI on I still hadn't switched my SCT over from my F-250 diesel and tried running my stang anyways. It bogged like crazy and ran like a dog. Didn't want to idle properly, but it would go above 1k...I guess each car is different. I wouldn't freak out and sell off your TB until you install that tune and run it then.

But as said, a TB is a worthless, and sometimes hindering, mod if you don't have AT LEAST cams/LTs/intake/heads. A supercharger is where you'll see the most out of it. And I think most the twin screws come with their own TB anyways...
Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
WYO07GT
2nd Gear Member

Sounds exactly what happened to mine except i didn't even get to drive it. You push the throttle and nothing happens. It chugs a little when you step on the gas right? Its the throttle position sensor. The throttle body still opens when you step on the it but the TPS is shot so the computer doesn't give it any more fuel making it run extremely lean. Put it back to stock and take it to the dealership and tell them what its doing, they should fix you up under warranty, just dont tell them you did anything to it. The idiots at my dealership took 2 weeks to do mine because they thought it was my pcm and reprogrammed my entire car. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Op, you have heard it already it...........dump that TB, its a POS. And also, you cannot install a CAI without a tune. Call brenspeed or AM and please for love of everything holy get a tune.

Dont be offended by this, but I am really surprised that anybody would order a TB for this stang and a CAI and not get a tune. Its the most basic mod in regards to the s197, cai and tune.

Good luck man, you car will run fantastic with the stock TB and a new tune with your cai.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Too true, that's why I had my stock TB powder coated, works fine, and is reliable.