Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm having trouble with my GT after adding mods.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Range_Unllimited

Default I'm having trouble with my GT after adding mods.

I just add two new mods(BBK 62mm throttle and CAI) to my 08 GT, now after installation I let her run idle for about 6 to 7mins to see if I would get a check engine light. Well at that time I didn't get one so I took her on the road to test drive her. 20 min later I came to a complete stop at a stop sign I notice that I was not getting a pull from the throttle while pressing the gas pedal so i had to have her towed back. As of right now the car will start up and idle but I will not get any more then 1k RPM when pressing the gas pedal. So I went back and disconnected to reconnect everything an also checked to make sure my spring was connected correctly on the throttle body. I'm still not pulling more then 1k in rpm in idle or 1stgear. Anyone with any ideas that may help. Oh and I have not tuned her for the new mods I'm still running on a stock tune waiting on my tuner to come in the mail.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 AM
transporter1414
1st Gear Member

I didn't see anything in your post about a tuner, so I'm going to say thats the problem. What kind of CAI did you buy. Most CAI require a tune.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by transporter1414
I didn't see anything in your post about a tuner, so I'm going to say thats the problem. What kind of CAI did you buy. Most CAI require a tune.
+1
When I installed my CAI & tune, the tune didn't go through correctly so the car ran like crap and idled really bad. Loaded the tune correctly and have had no problems. That's my guess, you need a tune
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

+2. Gotta tune it. CAI and a TB only needs an email tune, but a tune none-the-less
Old 08-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Which CAI? If it requires a tune i wouldnt be driving it because your awful lean. My car wouldnt even idle with the stock tune.

The BBK Throttle body has been known to cause issues, On a stockish engine it doesnt really add much in the way of power anyway, Usually the best bet is a GT500 TB if you are no longer normally aspirated and are starting to make enough power for it to become a restriction.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Dump the TB. The stock TB can handle all but the most high power mods. Aftermarket TB's are known to have issues on these cars. Get your money back since you're not gaining any performance with it. As far as the CAI, all of your research should have ALSO told you that a stand-alone CAI provides minor power gain (4-6 RWHP) and even the no-tune-required CAI's can still throw a code. A good CAI & tune combo is the way to go for about 25+ RWHP. Of course, who writes your tune will determine the final RWHP gains. Canned or crappy tunes might net you 15 RWHP or so.

Last edited by Nuke; 08-12-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Range_Unllimited

I fig that I probably needed the tune even do BBK sells those products as not needing a tune. I'm hoping that's all I need.

Last edited by Range_Unllimited; 08-12-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Range_Unllimited

Originally Posted by transporter1414
I bought a BBK CAI along with the Throttle
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

A lack of [enhanced] tune won't stop the car like that. It might make it run lean at the top end but don't subscribe to the myth that CAI alone will brick a car LMAO

It's the TB for sure. Whether it's a wiring issue, a defective TPS or whatever, it's in that unit.
Remember, there is no such thing as coincidence
Old 08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Range_Unllimited

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
A lack of [enhanced] tune won't stop the car like that. It might make it run lean at the top end but don't subscribe to the myth that CAI alone will brick a car LMAO

It's the TB for sure. Whether it's a wiring issue, a defective TPS or whatever, it's in that unit.
Remember, there is no such thing as coincidence
Thank you I may just try and send the throttle back and reinstall the stock

Quick Reply: I'm having trouble with my GT after adding mods.