Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 Brembo Brake Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 PM
NicD
1st Gear Member

Default GT500 Brembo Brake Conversion Question

BUT not about if they'll fit my wheels! LOL

So I'm looking to possibly do the GT500 brake upgrade soon. Visually, my brakes and calipers are EASILY the weak link in my pony right now. I think if I can find the right deal on a take-off set up I'll likely go that route (if anybody has some please let me know).

Question: The aftermarket kits seem to all be just for the fronts - are folks leaving the rears stock with upgraded pads? That's the impression I'm getting. Doesn't it look odd, upgrading the fronts only?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:26 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Yes, most leave the rears stock, and yeah, it does look a bit off. But the cost of brake kits for the rear don't motivate me enough to do anything about it.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

They are a lot of folks on the team shelby forums that upgrade and sell their Brembos. Just look in the GT500 classified section of their forums, and you will eventually find some for sale. I ended up getting a set from someone doing a super snake conversion. I paid $400, and used the savings to get DBA rotors, stainless steel braided lines, and Hawk pads. This guy is selling his, but he is asking to much IMO

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...arts-for-sale/
Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 AM
NicD
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys.

When I'm looking for a set of take-offs, is there any benefit to buying the rears? They're the same at the GT rears, just painted right?

And I just need to find a set from 07-10?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The rear doesn't need the muscle of the Brembo setup. if you were to rig a rear setup to mimic the front, you'd have to also install some brake bias control.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM
NicD
1st Gear Member

OK I got my take-offs! Now looking at braided brake lines and slotted rotors which raises a few more questions:

?: The kits with 4 braided lines like the Goodridge ones - are those for front and rear? Or are there 2 hoses on each side of the front (sorry for the newb questions)?

?: Is there any resale value for the original GT500 rotors? I want to upgrade to drilled/slotted rotors so I'll have the extra take-off set.

Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

there is one hose per corner, so the braided lines are for all 4 brakes.

you can try selling the rotors but you probably wont get much. it is almost the equivalent of selling used tires or half used brake pads.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

The goodridge kit has both front and rear lines. I don't know if the stockers have any worth or not, I just threw mine away. Here is how the the project came out. Where did you end up finding your take offs from?

Last edited by americaniron; 08-18-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:26 PM
NicD
1st Gear Member

Thanks again guys.

I found an old ad online and messaged the guy - he still had them. Got a pretty decent deal I think. He threw in the rear factory calipers with the Brembo fronts, all 4 rotors, 8 pads and the dust shields all with about 2k miles for about $600.

By the way, AI, that's one of the sickest set-ups i've seen. If I could have your shoes and brakes and Pascal's front end I'd be a happy camper! LOL. What kind of rotors are those?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Thanks, those are the DBA rotors. I got them for all four corners.

Quick Reply: GT500 Brembo Brake Conversion Question