Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another CAI question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
NCGTPONY
1st Gear Member

Default Another CAI question...

Does installing a CAI void the cars warranty? I would think it would. Thought I'd ask anyway. BTW, I'm looking for better performance, not so much for the looks.

Last edited by NCGTPONY; 08-19-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

NO Mod's VOID a warranty from my understanding, however if a part fails (ex: transmission) and the tranny failed as a direct result of a certain modification then it will void that part of the warranty.

If you get a CAI make sure you also get a tuner with that. There is very little point to a CAI with no tuner IMO.

If you ever need to take the car in for maintenance or something (or if something does fail) just keep your stock airbox handy and take your CAI off and put the stock airbox back on, then with your tuner you can reflash your car back to the stock settings and it looks like you never had anything done to it. Although I have heard on newer vehicles the dealership can see if you've reflashed the car or not (it gets saved somewhere everytime you do it?) I'm not 100% on that though, hopefully another member can chime in on that.

So to answer your question I believe it wont void anything unless something fails because of it. If you are having exhaust issues and you bring your car in with a CAI they can't say that the CAI is causing those exhaust issues. But if something a little more directly related to a CAI fails then you've got a different story.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It will only void warranty if you're a wuss by allowing yourself to be intimidated and azz-kicked by your dealership. Legally, the dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part was the cause for the failure or problem. I've had my Stang in for warranty work and never removed the CAI/returned to stock tune.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
NO Mod's VOID a warranty from my understanding, however if a part fails (ex: transmission) and the tranny failed as a direct result of a certain modification then it will void that part of the warranty.

If you get a CAI make sure you also get a tuner with that. There is very little point to a CAI with no tuner IMO.

If you ever need to take the car in for maintenance or something (or if something does fail) just keep your stock airbox handy and take your CAI off and put the stock airbox back on, then with your tuner you can reflash your car back to the stock settings and it looks like you never had anything done to it. Although I have heard on newer vehicles the dealership can see if you've reflashed the car or not (it gets saved somewhere everytime you do it?) I'm not 100% on that though, hopefully another member can chime in on that.

So to answer your question I believe it wont void anything unless something fails because of it. If you are having exhaust issues and you bring your car in with a CAI they can't say that the CAI is causing those exhaust issues. But if something a little more directly related to a CAI fails then you've got a different story.
That is actually the correct answer!!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM
NCGTPONY
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, that's very helpful info. Another question, did any of you have had any issues after installing a new CAI w/ a new tune? Do you regret doing it? My throttle response is slightly sluggish. It has just started getting sluggish within the last month. Not sure if I got hold of some bad gas or what.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:50 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NCGTPONY
Thanks guys, that's very helpful info. Another question, did any of you have had any issues after installing a new CAI w/ a new tune? Do you regret doing it? My throttle response is slightly sluggish. It has just started getting sluggish within the last month. Not sure if I got hold of some bad gas or what.
My car ran better with a cai/tune. Throttle response gets A LOT better with it, and I've never heard of anyone having any issues with a tune or a CAI. Just dont buy some crap off of eBay that is a brand you've never heard of, etc. and you'll be fine. You've got 50+ posts so you can get a discount from AmericanMuscle.com if you PM the moderator of AM. I hate to sound biased but AmericanMuscle.com is the best IMO.
You'll hear some people say you get better MPG, some people say you get worse, but here's my two cents...
After I installed my CAI I experimented with all the tunes. None of them really got me better/worse MPG. Now I leave the 91 octane race tune on my car and I hate to say it, but I beat the heck out of my car a lot more than I ever did because the extra power from a CAI+Tune is soooooo fun! But the thing about that is - I beat on my car way too much, yet I still average just about the same MPG (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, it's usually just about the same.)

Last edited by maxshuty; 08-19-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:02 PM
NCGTPONY
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
You've got 50+ posts so you can get a discount from AmericanMuscle.com if you PM the moderator of AM. I hate to sound biased but AmericanMuscle.com is the best IMO.
Sweet! I've bought my rear window louvers from Americanmuscle. Totally happy with them. I may order the SCT SF3 / X3 Power Flash Mustang Tuner for now. Install the CAI later. What I read just the tune alone makes a huge difference.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-x3...ash-tuner.html

Last edited by NCGTPONY; 08-19-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:25 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Awesome! Well if you purchase through them I wrote the installation guide for the C&L CAI. So if you have any questions if/when you install it just let me know! Install takes 30 minutes if you've got an extra hand around and it's your first time doing it.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NCGTPONY
When I bought my 09 it already had the FRPP CAI & "Bullitt" tune. I just got my Brenspeed 93 tune a couple of weeks ago. They (Brenspeed) told me it'd be like night & day when I got their tune, & they were right. The throttle response is greatly improved, & the car pulls noticeably harder. I figure there's as much difference going from the Bullitt tune to the Brenspeed one as there was going from stock to Bullitt. No issues whatsoever with either tune.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 AM
NCGTPONY
1st Gear Member

Since I'm going to order my flash tuner Monday, I've gone by several gas stations and notice here in this area, 91 octane isn't an option. My choices are 87, 89, 93 octane. No 91 octane. that sucks. I'm going to start out with the 91 octane tune. I'm sure running 93 on a 91 tune doesn't hurt anything. But paying 60 cents more a gallon sucks also. But I'm sure the power gain will make me forget all about it.

Last edited by NCGTPONY; 08-22-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Another CAI question...