Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just dynoed! Need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:46 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Default just dynoed! Need your help!

Hey whatsup everyone. Had my car just dynoed by greg at RET.

I have my graph and posted it up down below. Now, im running all bolt ons with PRE PROGRAMMED SCT X3 tunes

87 OCTANE
K&N intake
Steeda Delete plates
JBA shorty headers
Magna high flow x pipe
Magna Cat
UDP
Alum DS

Now by the graph, on the first run its running quite lean, obviously attributed to the canned tune. So we go in and adjust WOT A/F to 8% richer.

Now the second run which is shown the graph, yields more power but still its running lean.

Give me your thoughts on it and what i can do.
1) I want to stay 87 octane

2) Would maximizing WOT a/f (14% Richer) be enough. 8% richer lowered a/f by one point. would another 8% increase lower it another 1 point? Would any other parameter in SCT x3 be able to adjust this issue?

3) is getting an email tune the best option for me? I want to go the least costly route and stay within the parameters of the pre progammed sct ideally.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I can't speak intelligently on the A/F but your RWHP numbers look decent for your mods, maybe just a TAD low but not by much.

My personal feelings about the canned vs custom tunes, even the 87, is that the custom tune should add at least 3-5 RWHP over the canned.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Tailpipe sniffers generally indicate about .5 leaner than actual af. With that said think about how much you have into your car vs what a different tune will cost. At least get an email tune. A better option would be a dyno tune. I'd forget about running the sct canned tune.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Why dont you run 91 or 93 octane? You would get alot more out of it.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:46 AM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Why are you playing with the parameters on the SCT hand held and not re writing custom tunes??
Old 08-22-2010, 12:46 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

I want to stay 87 for that reason, i dont want to pay 20 cents more per gallon every time i fill up. it is a dd so i drive alot. Which means im not at WOT all the time. It may sound stupid but it is what it is. I feel its not worth the 5hp more. I want to maximize the power in 87.

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
Why are you playing with the parameters on the SCT hand held and not re writing custom tunes??
I cant rewrite custom tunes since i dont have a custom tune to begin with. I am only using the sct handheld parameters.

As of this point i increased WOT a/f to 12% richer. On another note, Is it better to be richer than lean. Will i lose power the richer i go? But will be safer right?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:55 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Look at your red af line. It started to go super lean before 6k. I'm going to guess the dyno operator told you to shut it down at that point. You really need a custom tune. At the very least go back to the sct without adjustments because at least the af stayed flat at wot. $50-$75 will get you a pretty good mail order tune. A dyno tune shouldn't cost more that $150 and you will get your dyno pulls included in that.

Rule of thumb is leaner will make more power until the motor seizes. Richer runs cooler with less power until you wash down the cylinder walls and the motor seizes. See the trend? Your best bet is to get a tune and imo you are playing with fire making adjustments without a wideband or dyno.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 PM
carguygt
2nd Gear Member

Yes, you have to get a dyno tune to get the most of your mods, you dont want to run lean or rich, Your complaining about 20 cents a gallon more, and yet your dumping raw fuel out and not burning it, makes no sence to me....
Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Why dont you run 91 or 93 octane? You would get alot more out of it.
Not true. For those that have taken my advice, driven stock aggressively immediatley prior to loading any custom tune w/CAI and loaded their 87 custom tune first, then progressed up with their other tunes (followed by repeating that spirited drive each octane jump) would tell you that the biggest gainer is from stock 87 to custom 87. The power jump from a custom 87 to custom 93 tune isn't that large. The characteristics of each tune are widely different in most cases and the 89, 91 and 93 tunes may not suit a person's driving style or needs (as is the case for the OP). It's silly to run the highest octane custom tune without feeling the other tunes. You paid for them; try them.

My Brenspeed 89 tune is much better suited for me than the 93 tune.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:26 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4

As of this point i increased WOT a/f to 12% richer. On another note, Is it better to be richer than lean. Will i lose power the richer i go? But will be safer right?
No! You can detonate running too rich not to mention waste the precious gas you don't want to pay 20 cents extra for to get max performance. Running rich can also wash down the cylinder walls causing extra heat and scaring, not to mention get into your motor oil and lower protection/lubrication. Stop being penny wise and dollar foolish, if you want performance do it right, pay and get a dyno tune even if it's for 87 octane.

Originally Posted by carguygt
Yes, you have to get a dyno tune to get the most of your mods, you dont want to run lean or rich, Your complaining about 20 cents a gallon more, and yet your dumping raw fuel out and not burning it, makes no sence to me....

AMEN!!!!

Quick Reply: just dynoed! Need your help!