Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Eforce Install Engine Code Problem Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Default Edelbrock Eforce Install Engine Code Problem Need Help

Recently installed the Edelbrock Eforce on my mustang I ordered the tuner kit not the one that comes with the programmer and everything. (used 41lbs injectors, 1 degree colder spark plugs, gt 500 fuel pump, cold air intake kit, 3.5 pulley)

I have had the GT500 fuel pumps in for about 4 months with no problems. I also have had kooks headers on for about 2 months and done about 3k miles with no problems. I have never thrown a code of any kind at all.

The install was really straight forward with minimal to no problems. Everything appears to be hooked up properly and functionally properly.

Now to the problem…..

My tuner finished the tune today. I got the tune and installed it today. The car idles fine let the car run just idling not giving it any gas for about 20 minutes no problems at all doesn’t throw any codes doing that. After the 20 minutes running I get in the car give it a little gas it stalls and cuts off. Restart the car let it run idling no problems try to give it some gas cuts off again. Still no code at this point. Paying attention this time it appears the car is cutting off right at about 1500 rpms below that it’s fine at or above that it immediately cutsoff. Third time I start it does the same thing but this time it throws a code.

This is the exact code it through was: P0135 OX S HTR CIR 1 S2

I know this code as been discussed on the forum several times but that stuff I see doesn’t match here. I check all O2 wire all appear to be fine, nothing in the install of the supercharger had anything to do with O2 wires. Just logically doesn’t make sense that all of a sudden now something would be wrong with them.
Does anyone know exactly which bank and sensor this code is for? From my reach it appears it should be the passenger side for bank 1 because that’s where cylinder 1 is. Also s2 should be sensor 2 which is the rear sensor which is emission related not air fuel related. I’m not sure if I'm correct on any of this and need some help.

Turner says that the rear O2 sensors are turned off in the tune.

Car has 93 Octane in it.

I need to narrow down if there is a physical problem or just a mistake in the tune.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Analyzer52; 08-21-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

P0135 : HO2S Circuit Malfunction
Description: During testing the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) heaters are checked for opens/shorts and excessive current draws. The test fails when the current draw exceeds a calibrated limit and/or an open or short is detected.

Possible Causes:
• Vacuum hose disconnected on EGR system module applications
• Short in VPWR to harnes or HO2S
• Water in the harness connector
• Open VPWR circuit
•*Open GRND circuit
•*Low battery voltage
•*Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
•*Damages HO2S heater
Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
Description: During testing the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) heaters are checked for opens/shorts and excessive current draws. The test fails when the current draw exceeds a calibrated limit and/or an open or short is detected.

Possible Causes:
• Open VPWR circuit
•*Open GRND circuit
•*Low battery voltage
•*Damages HO2S heater
That's the generic stuff I already read that doesn't really make any sense here. Look for more detail.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

not sure what's happening. but you might monitor short term fuel trims as you slowly approach the point where it cuts off, to see if something unusual occurs or you see a pattern.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
not sure what's happening. but you might monitor short term fuel trims as you slowly approach the point where it cuts off, to see if something unusual occurs or you see a pattern.
Is there anyway to do that from home?

I have an Aeroforce gauge but not sure if it reads that.

Does the SCT 2 datalog that stuff?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Analyzer52
Is there anyway to do that from home?

I have an Aeroforce gauge but not sure if it reads that.

Does the SCT 2 datalog that stuff?
They both will read stft's.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Changed both 02 sensors on the passenger side today one at a time with a new one and nothing changed car still throw the same code.

Only difference is today it goes into fail safe mode at 2000rpms instead of 1500rpms not much difference there.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance

Possible Causes:
• Open VPWR circuit
•*Open GRND circuit
•*Low battery voltage
•*Damages HO2S heater
It's a tuning issue. "Calibrated limit" is fancy talk for what the tuner has inputed as a command for the o2 sensors. Your short term fuel trims needs to be adjusted by someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I'm probably gong to screw up the explanation, but say your car needs X amount of fuel with Y amount of air. The PCM has these values inputed within a tune to detect air fuel differences based on MAF counts, fuel pressure and injector pulses. If the fuel trim is off by a certain amount, than O2 sensor codes will start to come up. Usually fuel trims at idle and regular driving are within 3% of what any non modified car is.

I have seen some people have this happen with a vacuum leak, inlet air leak or pinched O2 sensor wiring.

I would double chack with your tuner and they should be able to adjust it. He will ned a data log of the issue and whatever else he asks you. One data log wil lprobably cure it.

And while you're at it. Pony up and get the car custom tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I'm probably gong to screw up the explanation, but say your car needs X amount of fuel with Y amount of air. The PCM has these values inputed within a tune to detect air fuel differences based on MAF counts, fuel pressure and injector pulses. If the fuel trim is off by a certain amount, than O2 sensor codes will start to come up. Usually fuel trims at idle and regular driving are within 3% of what any non modified car is.

I have seen some people have this happen with a vacuum leak, inlet air leak or pinched O2 sensor wiring.

I would double chack with your tuner and they should be able to adjust it. He will ned a data log of the issue and whatever else he asks you. One data log wil lprobably cure it.

And while you're at it. Pony up and get the car custom tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.
Thanks this is what I thought but didn't really know how to explain it, just didn't add up.

I do plan to get it dyno tuned the issue is getting a good enough tune to get it to the dyno and that's what this is supposed to be but clearly it's not working well enough to do that.

Hopefully I can explain this to the turner without it coming across as pointing the finger.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Eforce Install Engine Code Problem Need Help