MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   What would you do if you were me. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/614339-what-would-you-do-if-you-were-me.html)

steveracinrr 08-24-2010 12:19 AM

What would you do if you were me.

Well I would have to say im not the typical guy you hear on here asking for opinions. I do love ford, but I have two imports.

First my daily driver is 2005 nissan altima Se-r with the 6spd manual. I have a few goodies on it, and dont have much trouble running 14.1 at 101 at the 1/4 strip. And it does very well on the road course with the falken 615rt tires and hawk HPS brakes. But I also have a 2006 honda cbr600rr sportbike. This has been my baby that I take to the track and have a ton of fun on. Well this past two years I haven't been able to give much time to either. Its very hard to play with both and still money left for other things in my life.

So today I test drove the new 5.0 and liked it, not loved it..but was nice. I come from a family that has all mustangs from 03 corba, 02 s/c saleen, 95 build corba. So im around these cars all the time.

The mustang i would get would be pretty loaded with leather, brembo package, prob the appearance package5(maybe, not sure yet), and minimum skaker500. This all said and done is about 36-37k.

Is it worth getting rid of both my car and bike to get this new mustang? I feel it would be nice to have just one car to mod thats already fast, but the price tag also hurts cause its not that far away from a vette or comparable. Or do I go the route of making my se-r more stock and better for daily driving and buy a 03-04 corba and saving about 10-13k?

I personally do like the 03-04 corba and mach1 styling better than the new, but the new is slowly growing on me.

I also live in michigan where I would have to drive the stang in the snow sometimes, how fast would that get annoying?

jrc1122 08-24-2010 12:38 AM

I vote 5.0
or used GT500

Mudflap 08-24-2010 12:53 AM

Welcome to the board. Since this is a mustang forum, you are about to get 20 responses saying "buy the mustang!". ;) Given I sold both of mine and am now casually considering my next "weekend toy" purchase, I'll point out one thing: you said you liked it, but didn't love it. 36-37k is a lot of money for something you don't love my friend. I made this mistake on the last 09 Mustang I had. Like, not love... and it didn't last. My advice is to try out the other performance cars in the 30-35k range, of which there are quite a few, and see if you find something you have to have. Only that one will be worth the money IMHO. Good luck!

Soldier GT 08-24-2010 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 7167330)
Welcome to the board. Since this is a mustang forum, you are about to get 20 responses saying "buy the mustang!". ;) Given I sold both of mine and am now casually considering my next "weekend toy" purchase, I'll point out one thing: you said you liked it, but didn't love it. 36-37k is a lot of money for something you don't love my friend. I made this mistake on the last 09 Mustang I had. Like, not love... and it didn't last. My advice is to try out the other performance cars in the 30-35k range, of which there are quite a few, and see if you find something you have to have. Only that one will be worth the money IMHO. Good luck!

Buy the mustang...19 more to go,lol!!

bakerjd 08-24-2010 12:58 AM

check this out...buy the mustang! 18 and counting
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...mw-m3-e92.html

Menace 08-24-2010 01:08 AM

I would try to find a better price.

I got quoted less than 33k for brembo package, premium, glass roof, electronics package. Three packages in there along are worth close to $6000. This is with the X plan, and I threw away a coupon I got in the mail for the 750 cash rebate. No interest in trading my car in. The 2011 is nice, but I enjoy the styling inside and out of my 06 better. Plus I don't have a car payment so I have more time and money to spend on the 06. Up to you though.

steveracinrr 08-24-2010 01:13 AM

I really do like the older ones, not really the 05-09. but all the same the money spent on a older one gets me good power and smaller payments. Im also not excited to mod a brand new car as the warranty starts to go out the window.

My brother tells me the 04 corba with 1k of mods to the engine can yield a pretty slick ride. My wife said if i got one for 30k(loaded-ish) she wouldnt mind. but the 36-38 is not really flying ATM.

bakerjd 08-24-2010 01:36 AM

get the '03 b4 the '04

Unsullied_Spy 08-24-2010 01:53 AM

I'm assuming the Altima is paid off? If you're happy with it I'm sure it's a good DD as well as good fun if you take the long way home. Your bike is your baby, I personally wouldn't give up my Baby (which happens to be my Mustang) for something I like but wasn't totally hooked on. The 2011 Mustang is awesome, but why should you give up a good DD that's fun to drive plus your bike for something that you didn't drive and absolutely have to have?

The newer Mustangs do a lot better in the snow than the older ones, with good tires and not doing anything stupid you shouldn't have trouble getting around in the winter (same can be said for anything I guess, but there it is). RWD is nice in the snow because you aren't powering the tires that do the steering and a majority of the braking, and if you turn the wheel to go into a parking lot and only turn a bit before sliding you can blip the throttle and get the car to go where you want it.

Something else to consider is that insurance and registration on a new car is significantly higher than an older car, while I could trade in my 04 Subaru Legacy and my 02 Mustang GT and be able to afford a new Mustang there's no way I could afford insurance and registration.

stealth_GT 08-24-2010 02:08 AM

Imagine already owning the 5.0.. would you miss either the Nissan or the bike??

If you could, you could always keep the bike and sell the altima. If you can find an 03-04 Cobra for a decent price and into modding, than I'd be all over the Cobra.